Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS

Article about: .... And unfortunately, the attached image will give you an idea of the variety of copies on the open market ... ALL are reproductions bar the "50" jump, which was a communist Poli

?

Default Re: My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS

.... And unfortunately, the attached image will give you an idea of the variety of copies on the open market ...

ALL are reproductions bar the "50" jump, which was a communist Polish issue.

Regards

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

?

Just on the point of contemporary replacements, there (as to be expected), are a few "freaks"!.

An example, (which I own), is the Field Parachute Badge to PPOR M.Grunbaum VM of the Sappers.
    He was wounded actually in the Rhine whilst the Poles were attempting to cross.
    Grunbaum was dragged out, and most probably was stripped of his Battledress to assist in the treatment of wounds to his face.
    He was medi-vacced out, back to Birmingham - England.

His badge, and award certificate were with his BD, and were "lost to the battle".
    Grunbaum had a contemporary replacement made, so that he could sport his combat wreath.
    No-doubt, his was asked for the number of his original wing, and could not remember exactly the number set, and gave the number 0104, when in fact the true number was 1144.
    The badge was replaced, stamped 0104, and had his correct issued number combat wreath added. (1513).
    This badge was re-issued from GR-Tech stock badges, and for some reason was not stamped "Duplikat", although the number itself was stamped on the lower side of the spinner stud in this case.

Again, although a contemporary replacement, every effort was made to number the badges.

Regards

Gary J.

And I should add the note, that this badge came directly from the recipient.

Hi,

Thank you Gary J , thanks Tony and thank you all! for the good lessons. I learned a lot of new informations. As promised here are some more pictures.

Regards,

Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS   My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS   My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS   My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Just on the point of contemporary replacements, there (as to be expected), are a few "freaks"!.

An example, (which I own), is the Field Parachute Badge to PPOR M.Grunbaum VM of the Sappers.
    He was wounded actually in the Rhine whilst the Poles were attempting to cross.
    Grunbaum was dragged out, and most probably was stripped of his Battledress to assist in the treatment of wounds to his face.
    He was medi-vacced out, back to Birmingham - England.

His badge, and award certificate were with his BD, and were "lost to the battle".
    Grunbaum had a contemporary replacement made, so that he could sport his combat wreath.
    No-doubt, his was asked for the number of his original wing, and could not remember exactly the number set, and gave the number 0104, when in fact the true number was 1144.
    The badge was replaced, stamped 0104, and had his correct issued number combat wreath added. (1513).
    This badge was re-issued from GR-Tech stock badges, and for some reason was not stamped "Duplikat", although the number itself was stamped on the lower side of the spinner stud in this case.

Again, although a contemporary replacement, every effort was made to number the badges.

Regards

Gary J.

And I should add the note, that this badge came directly from the recipient.
    Is this supposition ? re-issued = issued again. ipso, Mr. Krzanowski would had to have relinquished ownership of his badge. " had a contemporary replacement made ". this is different to the GR Tech manufacture ? so three badges are in the equation ? a picture of the front and rear of the badge would be illuminating.

?

If a badge was lost, (This would be during the time of the brigades existence - ie up till mid 1947). A replacement could be ordered at the soldiers expense.
    The replacement would be ordered from the manufacturers, and no doubt they would strike another badge or take a badge from stock.

I would presume that the soldier would have to furnish details of number to be stamped on the replacement.

Grunbaum's replacement is a GR-TECH, and there is no third manufacturer.

Grunbaums wing is 2nd from left top row.

Regards

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

?

Badges without number do not exist?

?

There may be some badges that slipped through un-numbered, more than likely contemporary replacements again !
    I personally always stick to numbered badges, as it is an added way to thin out copies.

Cheers

Gary J.

?

Gentlemen, I'd really want to know what's your take on this badge...
    Aprecciate any comments
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS   My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

My small WW2 polish badges collection - 1SBS  

Thank you Gary for the posts it was so interesting. A specially about M.Grumbaum. Alex thank you for posting your collection with us and, do you have more Polish items? What do you collect?
    Mariusz

Quote by jaxmon View Post
    Gentlemen, I'd really want to know what's your take on this badge...
    Aprecciate any comments
    jaxmon, I'll leave it to Gary for the final verdict, but I'm afraid this is another attempt at a copy of a Kirkwood & Son product. Assuming that the spinner is original to the badge this is very possibly a Bialkiewicz product.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast