Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Narvik 1940

Article about: THE POLISH ARMY IN THE NORWEGIAN CAMPAIGN 1940 The Norwegian Campaign (9 April to 10 June 1940) was fought in Norway between the Allies and Germany in World War II after the latter's invasio

?

Default Narvik 1940 - new book

Narvik and the Allies: The Polish Brigade at Narvik 1940
    by Evan McGilvray

( 1st Edition, Paperback, 2017)

Narvik 1940

This work is about the co-operation between the Allies in Norway between April and June 1940 by initially considering the military-politics of the period August 1939 until the German invasion of Norway in April 1940. Much of the work examines the role of the Independent Podhalian Rifle Brigade and its interaction and dependency on the Allies as the Polish troops found themselves under French command. Other aspects of the Norwegian Campaign are also explored including inter-service co-operation amongst the Allies, how the Western Allies were still uncertain who their enemy really was and how successful Narvik actually was and what it meant for the UK during the summer of 1940.

Narvik 1940

About the Author

Evan McGilvray was born in August 1961 in Winchester, Hampshire. He is a graduate of the School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University of London (UCL). Following this he undertook post-graduate studies at the University of Bradford and the University of Leeds, where he researched the politics of the Polish Army from 1918 to date. He also taught at the two universities. Evan is quite happy to challenge the myths that Poles have created around the Polish Army and the role of Poland during the Second World War. He also has an interest in other militaries and their role in society - quite simply civil-military relations - Poland being one of the most interesting European examples.

?

Great thread. Many thanks.

Hello Everyone,

I came across the following photographs over the Christmas Holidays and thought that I would share them with you all :

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

The above 2 photographs show 5 of the recipients of the Norweigan War Cross, the 2nd photograph is one that I have never seen before.

Those awarded the War Cross :

General Broni Władysław Sikorski - Prime Minister and C-in-C of the Polish Armed Forces (1943-posthumously)

General Bryg. Zygmunt Bohusz-Szyszko - Commander of the Polish Independent Highland Brigade

Pplk. Janusz Iliński

Pplk. Wacław Kobyliński

Major Andrzej Stańczyk

Kapitan Rudolf Marian Neuman

Por. Kazimierz Kędzierski

Por. Brunon Utnicki

Ppor. Piotr Szewczyk

Pdchor. Leon Słupieński

Kapral Kazimierz Dziedzioch

Strz. Wasyl Cykwas

Strz. Jan Lasowski.

I have also found the following photographs of the Investiture of the Virtuti Militari to General Carl Gustav Fleischer,

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

General Carl Gustav Fleischer, General Sikroski, General Brygady Paszkiewicz, Behind General Paszkiewicz stands Plk Klimecki with General Brygady Regulski and behind him General Brygady Zygmunt Bohusz-Szyszko

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

General Sikorski pinning the Virtuti Militari Silver Cross Numbered 8981 onto the tunic of General Fleischer.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. click on the photographs to enlarge in a new page.

?

Default Polish Film Magazine 1940 - 1941

andrzejku98 presented very interesting photos, thanks a lot! The festivities that document these pictures were also included in the films. These are very interesting materials and unfortunately very little known. It's worth to watch it.
    The first steps of Polish soldiers in Scotland. You can see there the Carpathian Brigade, General Carl Gustav Fleischer and many other events in Scotland, as well as in the Middle East. Great videos!

Polish Film Magazine No1, June - December 1940

Polish Film Magazine No2, Winter 1940 - 1941

Polish Film Magazine No3, January - May 1941

The British propaganda film STRANGERS from 1942 is also very interesting. It is to show the English and Scots Polish soldiers who suddenly and unexpectedly found themselves in the UK

STRANGERS

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/1636

And finally the revelation: Polish Army in Scotland in ... color

1943 Scottish Mazurka
    Last edited by Dabi26; 01-03-2019 at 09:01 PM.

?

Specific elements of the SBSP garrison uniform:
    1. French Fortress Artillery khaki beret with embroided white "Haller's" eagle on a red cloth
    2. French Artillery Hooded Cape Mle 36/38, here with "Haller's" eagle button's

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Narvik 1940  

?

Specific field uniform and equipement of SBSP used in Narvik battles:

1. French Adrian helmet Mle 26 - with snow cover and without (make note of the original eagle freehand painted while aboard transport ship with a gray paint used by French National Navy)
    2. Canadian sheepskin jackets
    3. Bergman alpine backpacks and snow shoes
    4. Mountain boots

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

?

Thank you for this treasure trove of information, very interesting!!

My grandfather fought in Norway with the 2nd Polish Independent Rifle Brigade. He had responded to General Sikorsky's call for Polish immigrants in France to join the Polish Army in the West in October 1939, and he was shipped from Brest to the UK.

He was injured in Norway on 19 May 1940 and subsequently spend 4 months in a hospital in Glasgow until October. He was awarded the Cross of Valour.

Later on he went to join the 1st Independent Commando Company in 1941 and after two years' training in Scotland and Wales he fought in the Italian Campaign in 1943-1944.

It's him circled in red in one of the first pictures of the tread. Thank you Konrad aka Conrado for finding the time to help me piece my grandfather's whereabouts during the war, starting from virtually nothing. I can't thank you enough.

Narvik 1940
    Last edited by Fran; 02-25-2020 at 04:38 PM.

?

I haven't found pictures of the French St. Etienne 8mm sidearms that were issued to French and Polish troops.

Here's my grandfather's.

Narvik 1940

?

Hi Esco

Thank you very much for photos and information .
    However, I have some comments on your information.
    You show a picture of a reconstructed soldier but this is a French Chasseur Alpin, not a Polish soldier.
    Most of the Polish soldiers did not use mountain backpacks or mountain boots. The French Army authorizing office did not provide them. They had snowshoes, in practice they did not work and they were not used.
    I don't know what you mean by name "Canadian sheepskin jackets", you probably combine two elements of uniforms into one. The one shown in the photo is actually a sheepskin leather jacket made in French, model 1938, used by Chasseur Alpin. On the other hand, soldiers of the Foreign Legion used material jackets, lined with fur, of Canadian production, called "Canadienne". Neither one nor the other jacket was delivered to the Poles.
    Poles commonly used a thick denim jacket model 1938. This jacket is visible in my photo where I reconstructed a Polish officer (captain) fighting in Norway.

Narvik 1940

Narvik 1940

I also have doubts about the information on painting the Polish eagle on helmets during a sea voyage. Perhaps such accidents were, but as you can see in the documentary photographs of departing to Norway, Polish soldiers already in France had their eagles painted on their helmets and it was white, not gray paint. Poles also did not have white helmet covers.

Best regards
    Dabi

?

Default The feature film "Narvik" is under production

Narvik 1940

Narvik – Hitler’s First Defeat
    (Narvik – Hitlers første nederlag)

The feature film "Narvik" is under production
    Premiera the 25th of December 2020

Narvik 1940

The feature film “Narvik” aims to portray both the military and the civilian side of the two intense months of spring 1940, when more than 25,000 Norwegians and Allied soldiers fought side by side against the Germans.

Narvik 1940

Nordisk Film Production and Storyline Nor are the major investors in this big film production. The main producer is Aage Aaberge, one of Norway’s most experienced feature film producers, known for the big films Kon-Tiki and Den 12.mann. Director is Erik Skjoldbjærg, well known for Insomnia, NOKAS, Pyromanen and the TV series Occupied.

- An under-communicated, northern Norwegian chapter in Norway’s war history will finally get the format it deserves – and hopefully also a place in common, national consciousness - says producer Aage Aaberge.

The film has a budget of 63,2 million Norwegian kroner, and has received 15 million in support from the Norwegian Film Institute.

Narvik 1940

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast