Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with uniforms identification

Article about: Dear Colleagues, I would be really thankful for your help identyfing two Polish tunics I have recently acquired. #1 looks like pre-war officer summer tunic wz. 1926, however buttons are Lond

?

Default Need help with uniforms identification

Dear Colleagues,

I would be really thankful for your help identyfing two Polish tunics I have recently acquired.

#1 looks like pre-war officer summer tunic wz. 1926, however buttons are London made.

#2 looks like US production, Monte Cassino ribbon bar suggests 2nd Corps...

Any ideas?

Tunic #1

Need help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identification

Tunic #2
    Need help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identificationNeed help with uniforms identification

Hello!
    I will start from the 2nd tunic. It is really US made tunic. This kind of uniforms were willingly used by polish soldiers in Italy, so it is nothing unusual Nice condition I would say

Right now... about 1st one. Really difficult, I've never seen anything like that. I wouldn't say that it is model 26 or even I wouldn't say it is not converted pre war tunic. First thought which entered my mind is that it is made in POW camp, but i don't know if there is anything to say for sure about this tunic. I've seen many polish uniforms for example made in Middle East or Italy, which were not usual, not made with army rules.

Anyway, I hope that my post is helpful

Best Regards
    Michal

Hi

Can you check the buttons on the first tunic and let me know what exact maker they are.

Looking at the material, collar and cuffs it seems like one of the many private purchase tunics worn during the French campaign of 1940 by the Polish army.
    You see officers, cadets and NCO's wearing many patterns of tunics.

Nick

?

Hi,

#1 my second guess was also some kind Polish Forces in France as their uniforms varied greatly. However buttons are signed "Gaunt & Son, London, England". Jacket has lots of repairs and stiches, pocket and epaulettes buttons missing, epaulettes sewn directly onto the jacket... it is safe to assume the buttons were replaced later.

Medal ribbons are for sure Polish pre-war: Cross of Merit (Krzyz Zaslugi), Krzyż na Śląskiej Wstędze Waleczności i Zasługi (Silesian Uprising Cross), The 1918-1921 War Medal (Medal Pamiątkowy za Wojnę 1918-1921).

Any further ideas?