Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Netherlands silver /enameled DFC awarded to Polish Pilot RAF

Article about: Hi , picked this Netherlands /Dutch DFC medal up recently, Polish cross of valor ribbon , its contempory framed (i took back off frame to see if its named sadly its not ) It is WW2 appears i

Default Netherlands silver /enameled DFC awarded to Polish Pilot RAF

Hi ,
    picked this Netherlands /Dutch DFC medal up recently, Polish cross of valor ribbon , its contempory framed (i took back off frame to see if its named sadly its not ) It is WW2 appears issue variety or French made rather than British made which was stamped on rear. Front arms have been black enamelled,leading me to think he was killed,surrounding medal is victory wreath and RAF wings. Rear displayed ww2 newspaper.
    I believe RAF Polish Pilot KIA awarded Dutch DFC .
    hope you like !!
    SteveNetherlands silver /enameled DFC  awarded to Polish Pilot RAFNetherlands silver /enameled DFC  awarded to Polish Pilot RAFNetherlands silver /enameled DFC  awarded to Polish Pilot RAFNetherlands silver /enameled DFC  awarded to Polish Pilot RAF

Default Re: Netherlands silver /enameled DFC awarded to Polish Pilot RAF

Interesting looking item. I suppose the Polish Cross of Valour ribbon that was put in place of the issue ribbon may connect this to a Polish airman with the RAF – if it is in fact Polish. This ribbon pattern is found on decorations from other nations, although I don't know if they were for military service. If indeed Polish this ribbon is of post war manufacture judging from the weave of the fabric. Sorry to cloud things further, but the Cross of Valour ribbon for the WW2 exiled Polish forces had the colours reversed. See photo below of Squadron Leader Robert Juliusz Hirszbandt OBE DFC (KIA in 1942) with the ribbon clearly visible on his Cross of Valour.

It’s a shame there’s no name anywhere to be found that would open an avenue for further research. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Netherlands silver /enameled DFC  awarded to Polish Pilot RAF  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne