Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces

Article about: Stéphane ‘ze-pole’, our resident 1st Polish Armoured Division expert, wishes to alert the forum members about a new monument built to commemorate the landing of General Stanisław Maczek

Default New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces

Stéphane ‘ze-pole’, our resident 1st Polish Armoured Division expert, wishes to alert the forum members about a new monument built to commemorate the landing of General Stanisław Maczek’s famed division. The monument will be dedicated on Saturday July 28th at 4:00 p.m. on Juno Beach at Graye-sur-Mer.

This is the spot where the soldiers of the 1st Polish Armoured Division landed in 1944 just ahead of contributing their pivotal role in the victory of the Battle of Normandy, and then from France carrying on their heroic march through Belgium, the Netherlands, and finally Germany capturing the Port of Wilhelmshaven and accepting the surrender of the entire German garrison.

An exhibition about this Polish unit will also take place the same weekend in this village. Wish I could be there! I’m hoping that anyone lucky enough to attend will take plenty of pictures to post for us here.

Thanks for the heads up Stéphane

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Default Re: New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces

Tony, and all,
    Happy to read the information on War Relics Forum. Thank you Tony !
    If members are in Normandy next 28th and 29th july, I will be happy to meet them to the exhibition.
    Of course, I will post pictures of the ceremony and exhibition !
    Best regards.
    ZP

Thanks again for alerting us, and I very much look forward to seeing the pictures of the monument, the dedication ceremony and the exhibition. Once more - wish I could be there!!

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hello,
    I just come back from the ceremony and exhibition.
    Here is the link fot he video on french TV for this event :

JT 19-20 Basse-Normandie - pluzz.fr - voir ou revoir les programmes de france télévisions - France Télévisions

I will post pictures soon.
    ZP

Hello,
    Here is the picture of this new monument :
    Congratulations to mister Jean-Pierre Ruault, president of the polish association in France, who did a great job !

ZP

Hi Stéphane, thank you for posting the picture and link (the latter which unfortunately does not work here in Canada). The monument looks great!

I look forward to any further comments about your experience at this event, and hopefully seeing any additional photos of the dedication ceremony and also of the exhibition you mentioned that was held in the nearby town. Many thanks again

Tony

Hello,
    Here are some pictures of the ceremony.

Speech by mister Edward PODYMA, veteran of the Company of Head Quarter of the 10th Brigade. Honorary president of the French association.

Flowers by misters Podyma, on his left is Mister JeanPierre RUAULT, president of the french association, and on his left mister Pepin, member of the association.

The monument, and the polish flags.

Best regards.
    ZP

Great pics Stéphane Many thanks!
    Tony

My own small contribution. Although it isn't sign-posted yet and the receptionist in the Juno Centre didn't know where it was it is easy to find, right below the Cross of Lorraine on Juno Beach.

We also went to the Polish Cemetery at Langannerie about 10 miles south of Caen. A very sad and moving place. Beautifully cared for and obviously frequently visited judging by the visitors book. Most seem to have lost their lives during the Battle of Falaise in August but it was surprising to see a number of airmen who had died much earlier in the war.

While we were there a very elderly couple came into the cemetery. I wanted to speak to them but it was obvious that the man had old friends to see and say 'Good bye' to.

The new memorial and the cemeteries are all very fitting tributes to the brave people of Poland
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces   New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces  

New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces   New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces  

New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces   New Monument in Normandy Commemorating WW2 Polish Forces  

Quote by jamest8 View Post
    the receptionist in the Juno Centre didn't know where it was
    Pathetic...
    Thank you jamest8 for these pictures.
    ZP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast