Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

PAF Stories

Article about: War veteran returns to RAF Kemble Wierzbowski Tadeusz kpt. / F/Lt Pilot 300DB P-1696 Ted Weirzbowski (back row, centre) with his Lancaster crew after returning from a successful raid 1:00pm

Hello Everyone,

A photograph of Squadron Leader (Major) pilot P1250 Marian Trzebinski VM, KW x 3 CdeG etc 317 & 316 Sqdns.

PAF Stories

Note that he is not wearing his pilots badge

p.s. click to enlarge the photograph in another page

Best wishes

Andrzej

Mysterious cross at Normanby-le-Wold revealed to be site of Second World War air crash | Grimsby Telegraph

A MYSTERIOUS cross hidden in a hedge bottom on a quiet country lane gives little detail of why or how it is there – but research has revealed it marks the site of a plane that crashed during a mercy mission flight.

The cross, which bears the inscription NG269 – and no other markings or explanation – is believed to be dedicated to four of seven crewmen who perished in the crash, which happened nine months after the end of the Second World War.

It is thought to have been placed at the Normanby-le-Wold site by either the Polish Airmen’s Association or a relative of one of the four victims.

Local resident Chris Turner said the plane had come down on the evening of January 8, 1946.

As reported, northern Lincolnshire and the Wolds in particular, was home to numerous bomber airfields during the Second World War.

NG269 was a Lancaster operated by 300 Polish Squadron RAF formed at the start of the war and believed to be the first squadron of Poland’s Bomber Command in exile.

Raids took place from the Lincolnshire airfields of Swinderby, Hemswell and Ingham, before the squadron moved to RAF Faldingworth, near Market Rasen, in early 1944.

The squadron flew a total of 3,891 wartime sorties, 371 men were killed in action and 80 aircraft were lost.

After the war the squadron continued flying mercy missions such as the distribution of food to Holland, the repatriation of British Prisoners of War, and deliveries of Red Cross Supplies for Poles liberated from German concentration camps.

Mr Turner, who has consulted others living in the area as part of his research, said: “We believe the plane was returning to Faldingworth in apparently poor weather.

“I understand it struck one of the three trees near Normanby Lodge and crashed close to the middle one. Four of the crew died and three survived.

“We were told by a former resident of Normanby that she was woken in the night by people knocking at her door – they were speaking a foreign language and she thought that the war had started again.”

Those killed were pilot, Flight Sergeant Wladyslaw Robaszewski; Flying Officer Witold Brodzikowski, the navigator; Warrant Officer Roman Rozga and Flight Sergeant Wladyslaw Kordys, a gunner.

Three of the crew survived and they were Flight Sergeant Lucjan Binek, Flight Sergeant Edward Grzegorzewski and Sergeant Wladyslaw Sawicki.

There were other fatal accidents in the parish including a Spitfire, which crashed east of the church in 1942.

Mysterious cross at Normanby-le-Wold revealed to be site of Second World War air crash | Grimsby Telegraph
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PAF Stories  

?

Hello,I recently purchased a job lot of maps,postcards ect from a local auction amongst it was a observers air gunners log book and some paperwork to a polish chap antoni wesolowski,I have found he was an air gunner with flight 1586 as stated in his log on several pages,is there a way to research this chap and if so where can I find the records? Regards Adrian

Hello Adrian,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum.

Sierzant (Sergeant) 704467 Air Gunner Antoni Jan Wesołowski was born on the 22nd December 1918 in Dortmund, died in Burnley in Lancashire in the 4th Quarter of 1970 (Registrars Volume 10b Page 1745), he had married Ivy Brown (Born 1921) in Nelson in Lancashire in the 4th Quarter of 1944 (Volume 8e, Page 400).

The Polish Institute and General Sikorski Museum in London hold all original service records for the PAF, if you write to them they will charge £25.00p for a 2 Hour search, and a wait of upto 6 months. The best thing would be to book an appointment for a place in the reading room and then you would just have to pay them for what ever photocopies they produce for you.

I will also see what further information I can find for you.

Best wishes & Welcome once again to the Forum

Andrzej

Hello Adrian,

I have just gone through Jerzy Cynk's History of the PAF and could not find a mention of Antoni Wesolowski.

301 Sqdn was formed at RAF Bramcote on the 22nd July 1940 and became Operational at RAF Swinderby on the 12th September 1940, 7 Aircrews were posted to 138 Special Duties Squadron to form "C" (Polish) Flight.

4th November 1943 no 1586 Special Duties Flight was formed at Brindisi reformed as Special Duties Squardron 7th November 1944 (Brindisi, Italy). Last Operational Special Duties Mission 26th February 1945, then reformed has a Transport Squadron 4th April 1945, disbanded 8th December 1946 at RAF Chedburgh.

I did not find Antoni listed has a Recipient of the Virtuti Militari, but his Service Record would confirm if he received the Krzyz Walecznych (Cross of Valour).

Apologies for not being able to help you further with your request, but please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Hello thankyou for the information, best regards Adrian

?

Hello Adrian,
    Here`s the handful of details regarding the flying service of Sgt Antoni Wesolowski, that I have managed to find in my collection of PAF archival documents:
    Sgt Antoni Wesolowski completed his operational training in 6 (CC) OTU in Siloth. Then on 13 May 1943 as a part of the crew of Sgt Eugeniusz Koziel he was posted to 304 (CC) Polish Sqn stationed in Tiree (Scotland). He took part in a couple of anti-submarine patrols before he and his crew were transferred on 4 Aug. 1943 to Flight C (Polish) of 138 (Special Duties) Sqn in Tempsford. They started flying with supplies for underground organisation in Western Europe and Poland. Later Polish component was renamed 1586 (SD) Flight and moved to Brindisi (Italy). There he completed his tour of duty. He was awarded Polish Cross of Valour and two Bars (twice in November 1944 and for the third time in March 1945).
    That`s all that I have come across so far. In case I find anything else, I will let you know. Perhaps i`ll be lucky enough to find his photograph.
    By the way I would be very interested in the details of Wesolowski`s flying service from his log-book. Would it be possible to get a copy of it? If you were so kind to share it I would be really appreciated and helpful for my researches.
    Regards,
    Greg

Quote by Ade73 View Post
    Hello,I recently purchased a job lot of maps,postcards ect from a local auction amongst it was a observers air gunners log book and some paperwork to a polish chap antoni wesolowski,I have found he was an air gunner with flight 1586 as stated in his log on several pages,is there a way to research this chap and if so where can I find the records? Regards Adrian
    Dear Adrian, Antoni Wesolowski is my grandfather. I am in the process of researching his history and was amazed to hear that you have his air gunners log book. As you can imagine, I would be very interested to see it. Is there any way I could see it please? Kind regards, Stephanie

Quote by Grexx View Post
    Hello Adrian,
    Here`s the handful of details regarding the flying service of Sgt Antoni Wesolowski, that I have managed to find in my collection of PAF archival documents:
    Sgt Antoni Wesolowski completed his operational training in 6 (CC) OTU in Siloth. Then on 13 May 1943 as a part of the crew of Sgt Eugeniusz Koziel he was posted to 304 (CC) Polish Sqn stationed in Tiree (Scotland). He took part in a couple of anti-submarine patrols before he and his crew were transferred on 4 Aug. 1943 to Flight C (Polish) of 138 (Special Duties) Sqn in Tempsford. They started flying with supplies for underground organisation in Western Europe and Poland. Later Polish component was renamed 1586 (SD) Flight and moved to Brindisi (Italy). There he completed his tour of duty. He was awarded Polish Cross of Valour and two Bars (twice in November 1944 and for the third time in March 1945).
    That`s all that I have come across so far. In case I find anything else, I will let you know. Perhaps i`ll be lucky enough to find his photograph.
    By the way I would be very interested in the details of Wesolowski`s flying service from his log-book. Would it be possible to get a copy of it? If you were so kind to share it I would be really appreciated and helpful for my researches.
    Regards,
    Greg
    Dear Greg, I have just been reading the fascinating information you have on Antoni Wesolowski who is my grandfather. I would love to find out more about him and would be grateful for any suggestions you may have about where to look. Kind regards, Stephanie

Hello Stephanie,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum, your Grandfather Antoni Jan Wesołowski, Born 22nd December 1918 in Dortmund, Germany, Service Number : 704467, awarded the KW with 2 Bars.

His Service Record would be held by the PISM in London, you can either write to them asking for a photocopy of his service record for which they will charge you £25, or you can book a seat in the reading room and then you will only pay for the cost of photocopying.

The choice is yours.

The PISM details are below:

The Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum
    20 Prince's Gate
    London
    SW7 1PT

Telephone Number : 00 44 (0)207 589 9249

Best wishes

Andrzej

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast