Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Photo of a group of Polish soldiers

Article about: Hi Guys, I was given this single photo by a friend of mine who knew of my interest in Polish Forces. My Polish is sadly none existant. But I think it is captioned "Scotland", follo

Default Re: Photo of a group of Polish soldiers

Chris
    Yes he was in "Children of Lwow" and was a tank commander. I remember a discussion with him once while we were watching an American TV show showing "modern" tanks. He was howling about the new machines having shock absorbers and air conditioning! Said the ones he was in in Africa, Iran, Iraq and Italy tended to get a little warm inside during the bumpy rides! He told my older brother and I a few stories, usually after having a few drinks. He was wounded in the side while in Italy. He said he was tired of urinating into a coffee can in the tank and went out to relieve himself. He told us if it was a little further down and to the left, neither of us would be here now!

Hey John

Did your dad ever mention the name they gave his tank? What was your fathers last name, I've some information on Pulk 6 Pancerny.

Chris.....

Chris, he never mentioned a name for his tank. Dad was Kpl Josef Solski

Good afternoon John how's the weather in Iqaluit? We're having a Chinook here in Calgary, very mild temperatures.

Don't how much you know about your dad but from page 402 of SEMPER FIDELIS Dzieje Pulku 6 Pancernego ,,Dzieci Lwowskich'' there is mention of him. It reads:

Josef Solski. Corporal., born. 1919, a tank driver in the 3rd Squadron., Wounded July 3,1944 at Castelfidaro - sent to the hospital, graduated NCO school Wolszech. armored troops., after the war remained in exile - settled in Canada, died in 1985., decorated Cross of Valour. Registered under No. 1919/319/III. (soldiers serial number)

In Polish:
    Josef Solski Kpr., ur. 1919, kierowca czolgu w 3 szwadron., ranny 3 VII 1944 pod Castelfidaro - skierowany do szpitala, we Wolszech ukonczyl szkole podoficer. wojsk panc., po wojnie pozostal na emigracji - osiedlil sie w Kanadzie, zmarl w 1985 roku., odznaczony Krzyż Walecznych, nr ewid . 1919/319/III.

Hope this is of interest
    Chris......
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 02-25-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Chris, thanks for this information. I have learned more in my short while on this site than from any other source.

John ,

I have found your Father in the Monte Cassino Cross list of recipients awarded Cross Number: 30840, whilst a Kapral in the 6th Children of Lwow Armoured Regiment of the Armoured Brigade (later Armoured Division).

I tried to find your Father listed in the Index of victims of Soviet Repression but could only find a Jozef Solski born in 1920 and another born in 1904.

Sorry I could not help you further.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Quote by wayupnorth View Post
    Chris, thanks for this information. I have learned more in my short while on this site than from any other source.
    Your most welcome John. By chance do you know or did your dad ever mention the name of his tank commander or crew commander? Tank crews were a pretty close bunch regardless of rank.

Chris.....
    Last edited by ChrisW01; 02-26-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3