Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Piecing together my grandfather's story: Artur Tomasz Maruszewski

Article about: Hi again Witty, I forgot to say that the Romanian Order would likely be one of the following either the Order of the Star of Romania, The Order of the Crown of Romania or the Order of Carol

Default Re: Piecing together my grandfather's story: Artur Tomasz Maruszewski

Hi again Witty,

I forgot to say that the Romanian Order would likely be one of the following either the Order of the Star of Romania, The Order of the Crown of Romania or the Order of Carol 1.

Once again Best wishes

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. It's Sod's Law that the one book you want is the one that's missing... No worries. The Romanian medal has 1886 on it if memory serves.

Yes, I did know about Juliusz Ulrych. It was actually my grandmother's younger half sister that he married, though they later divorced - they were first cousins too, from what I've managed to work out.

I also know that Edward, my grandmother's full younger brother i.e. my great uncle was killed at Katyn, and that one of her other half sisters was married to a Pulkownik Franciszek Wegrzyn - who incidentally served with grandfather in the 5th pp and was a German POW in WW2.

I have a really nice photo with my grandfather together with Juliusz Ulrych and two other officers from around 1920. One I think is Franciszek Wegrzyn and the other is most likely great uncle Edward, but I'm not entirely sure on those two. I'll dig it out and post it.

Hi Witty,

Franciszek Wegrzyn was born 5th March 1892, you are correct that Artur served with him in 5ppLeg.

Franciszek was also awarded the Silver Cross of the Order Virtuti Militari Numbered:555 as well as the Cross of Independence, Cross of Valour with 3 Bars and the Gold Cross of Merit. He was promoted to Kapitan on 1st April 1919, Major on 1st January 1927, whilst a Major he was General of Brigade Oswald Frank's Chief of Staff (7th Corps based in Poznan).

Artur and Franciszek whilst in 5ppLeg. served with another Captain Bronislaw Chrusciel (later Plk and C/O of 1st Carpathian Rifle Brigade, 3DSK, who was later promoted to General of Brigade) I have his Virtuti Militari Gold Cross Nr:89 along with other medals of his.

Now back to work, best wishes

Andrew

Hiya Andrew,

Thanks for the info about Franciszek Wegrzyn. It figures about Poznan as my grandmother's family lived in Kalisz and Stawiszyn.

Here is the photo I mentioned - and it shows that I can't count... Though thanks to some stuff my mum dug up, I've managed to identify the five men. Alas, none of them are Wegrzyn, but I'm hoping it's still of interest.

Front row l-r are: Edward Sztark, Juliusz Ulrych and Artur Maruszewski
    Back row l-r are: Daniel Sztark and Emil Sztark

Edward Sztark is my grandmother's full (younger) brother, while Daniel and Emil are her younger half brothers. According to the notes on the back of the photo, it was taken in Kalisz in 1919.

Hi Witty,

I have just finished going through the 1932 Daily Orders and I have found your Grandfathers promotion to Pulkownik (Colonel) listed in issue Nr 14 dated 22nd December 1932 with effect from the 1st January 1933.

I will keep going through the rest and will let you know what I find

Best wishes

Andrew

Hi Again Witty,

The Sztark Brothers all from Kalisz, the 1924 Officers Yearbook lists them as follows: Por. Daniel Sztark 29psk, Promoted to Porucznik 1st April 1919, Ppor Emil Sztark 23PUL, Promoted 1st September 1920, Ppor Edward Alojzy Sztark 29psk. All three brothers by 1924 are listed as Officers in the Reserve Cadre for each Regiment.

The Reserve Officers Yearbook of 1934 is more informative:Por. rez. Daniel Sztark 29psk Date of Birth: 20th June 1897 living in Kalisz, Ppor rez. Emil Sztark 24PUL date of Birth: 17th March 1895 living in Kalisz, Por.rez. Edward Alojzy Sztark (promoted to Porucznik 2nd January 1932) 29psk, Date of Birth: 10th July 1898.

They where the sons of Emil and Natalii nee Betznerow.

Between 1934 and 1939 Daniel was promoted to Kapitan rez,. Por.rez. Edward Alojzy Sztark MN (Independence Medal) in September 1939 was in command of a Heavy Machine Gun Company of 29psk, you are probably aware that Edward was murdered at Katyn in 1940 and was posthimously promoted to Kapitan.

Daniel Sztark died in Kalisz on 28th September 1965, and his younger brother Emil died also in Kalisz on 1st May 1972.

All three Brothers are commemorated on a Plaque in Kalisz.

Well I hope that the above information is of some use and interest Witty

Once again Best wishes

Andrew

Thanks again Andrew. A lot of this stuff is completely new to me - the joy of having a family where no one actually talks to each other... I've been to Kalisz on a number of occasions, but I didn't even know there was a memorial plaque...

Though there is a slight error in your information...

Edward is actually the half brother of Emil and Daniel. My great grandfather Emil was married twice, and Edward is from his first marriage to Emma Bezner. My grandmother Alicija was his full (elder) sister. Emma died giving birth to Edward, and her younger sister, Natalia, came to look after the two children. Great grandfather then married her and had a further four children; Eugenia (who was married for a while to Juliusz Ulrych), Maria, Emil and Daniel.

From what I can piece together - it's not certain, but I'm hoping to find some info when I go through what I have of my grandmother's papers, is that Edward was arrested by the Russians when he went to rescue his aunt (great grandfather's sister) as she actually lived in Russia at the time. The aunt managed to get to Kalisz, but evidently Edward didn't.

I'm still going through grandfather's papers. I've figured that the only way I'll make sense of them is putting it all in chronological order. It's amazing some of the stuff that landed on his desk... Really eye-opening.

What I have found out (from a handwritten testimony he gave regarding the evacuation of Wilno) is that he was the person entrusted with evacuating Aleksandra Pilsudska and her two children from the city. From what I can tell, his travel itinery matches what I have been able to find out about Aleksandra's, so it tallies. One of the Marshal's daughters remained in touch with us until about 25 years ago - I can just about remember her and her husband, but I was only 10 or so at the time. They were both architects if memory serves...

I will get to the bottom of this handwritten stuff eventually, I promise...

I hope i'm not boring you silly.

Witty.

Just to add a few new photos, all from WW2. The first is with Dr Thomas, the head of the UK Co-operative society (1943-ish) and the other two are slightly earlier, when grandfather was on the staff organizing the camps in which Polish troops were settled in on their arrival in the UK. I know one of the camps was in Biggar, but can't remember the others...

Have you ever considered putting all this into a book?

I dunno... Not sure if there'd be a demand for it. But I'm enjoying satisfying my own curiosity and filling in the gaps as I go along. Unfortunately I have no idea how much was left behind (in Poland and Scotland both), lost or what my uncle just simply threw away. But if I can interest a few people along the way, then that's a real bonus.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast