Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Plakat/posters from WWII

Article about: by Piwo2 . . .The Polish poster book was printed in very limited supplies. I had to pay dearly to get one from Poland. If you ever see one grab it.Does anyone know if it is being reprinted?

Default Re: Plakat/posters from WWII

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    . . .The Polish poster book was printed in very limited supplies. I had to pay dearly to get one from Poland. If you ever see one grab it.Does anyone know if it is being reprinted?
    I don't know if " Katalog Polskiego Plakatu Wojskowego" has been reprinted, but I agree that it's certainly worth acquiring if one can locate an available copy. For Stefan here's a small sampling of some of the wartime LWP posters contained in the book. (sorry for the quality as I only had some to snap some quick pics rather than scans)

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plakat/posters from WWII   Plakat/posters from WWII  

Plakat/posters from WWII   Plakat/posters from WWII  

Plakat/posters from WWII  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    . . . The original posters are printed on a very poor grade of paper.very similar to newspaper stock They will also be found with stamps on them identifying the source as:
    The Polish Information Bureau
    New York, New York
    Here’s the original print in my collection with the ink stamp. The quality of the paper used for this one is actually not too bad, printed on a heavier stock.

I own most of the New York based Polish Information Center’s “The Polish Review” weekly periodicals issued during the war years and if memory serves this poster is mentioned in one or more of the earlier issues as being available for purchase. I’ll try to dig out that info when time permits.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plakat/posters from WWII   Plakat/posters from WWII  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I don't know if " Katalog Polskiego Plakatu Wojskowego" has been reprinted, but I agree that it's certainly worth acquiring if one can locate an available copy. For Stefan here's a small sampling of some of the wartime LWP posters contained in the book. (sorry for the quality as I only had some to snap some quick pics rather than scans)

Regards,
    Tony

Cheers Tony I will be looking out for a copy of the recommended book... some cracking propaganda poster designs!
    Last edited by StefanM; 02-10-2012 at 09:52 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Kanadzie - Canada

Tony, would please translate the Polish text to English on these posters??

thanks,

Piwo

Quote by Piwo2 View Post
    . . . please translate the Polish text to English on these posters
    Your Canadian / US recruitment posters:

Pomoz Im do Victorii = Help Them to Victory

(the use of the word ‘victory’ is not technically Polish, but has been ‘polonized’ by adding the two “ii”)

Precz z Wrogiem! = Get Rid Of (Do Away With) the Enemy!

Text below:

Become a Volunteer of the Polish Army in Canada. Request information from the center or branches of Friends of the Polish Soldier.

Here’s the translation of the LWP posters:

Polskie Slupy Graniczne na Odrze! = Polish Border Posts on the Oder!

Wspolnie to Zwyciestwa = Together to Victory”

Naprzod! = Forward!

Na Berlin = To Berlin

Idziemy do Ciebie Warszawa = We Are Coming To You Warsaw

(. . . only to sit on the banks of the Vistula to watch the Germans crush your uprising and then systematically level the city . . . sorry, couldn’t resist adding that)

Pomscimy Zbrodnie Niemieckie! = We Will Avenge the German Crimes!

Dziekuje Wam za Wyzwolenie Ojczyzny! = Thank You for Liberating my Homeland!

Regards,
    Tony

Actually viktoria is a polish word. Comes from latin that was widely spoken in earlier Polish times.

Thanks itakdalej,

Yeah, I was looking over one of the 18th century Polish documents you posted on the IIRP forum and it makes for interesting reading. Somewhere along the way the use of “ v “ was dropped, certainly well before the 1940's.

Seems to me the use of this word here is in a decidedly un-Polish way, taking the English word “Victory” (using a “ c “ rather than a “ k “) and added the twin “ i “ . Born and raised in Canada, lived here all my life, so honing my Polish language skills remains a work in perpetual progress!

Cheers,
    Tony

?

Tony,

Thank you very much for translating those posters...I've a copy of Fire and Sword that needs translating....shall I drop it in the post for you to translate and return?

cheers,
    Piwo

I recognized the Polish word for Canada but why a Polish recruiting poster directed towards Canada? Did they expect to recruit emigre or escaped Poles(?) who resided or claimed refugee status (if such a thing existed in Canada of the '40s).

Or is this an attempt to recruit Canadians of Polish ancestry to join the Free Polish Forces? I'd expect that most sons and daughters of Polish immigrants would join the Canadian Army.
    Last edited by dastier; 02-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post

Idziemy do Ciebie Warszawa = We Are Coming To You Warsaw

(. . . only to sit on the banks of the Vistula to watch the Germans crush your uprising and then systematically level the city . . . sorry, couldn’t resist adding that)

Pomscimy Zbrodnie Niemieckie! = We Will Avenge the German Crimes!
    ... especially the German war-crimes at Katyń..zbrodnia katyńska!... sorry, also couldn't resist
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast