Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Army Medal for War (Medal Wojska za Wojne) 1939-45

Article about: wonderboy here, always wondered about this medal. apparently the medal could be conferred up to four times. what constituted this multiple award ? time served ? different theatres of war ? o

Default Polish Army Medal for War (Medal Wojska za Wojne) 1939-45

wonderboy here, always wondered about this medal. apparently the medal could be conferred up to four times. what constituted this multiple award ? time served ? different theatres of war ? on photographs of Polish servicemen bars can be observed applied to the ribbon.

That’s correct – awarded up to four times. During the war years one qualified for the medal after six month service in a combat area (operational zone), or 12 months in areas not subjected to air attack and which was not closely threatened. Additional awards required double the service time.

There’s a bit of controversy with the awarding of the Polish Medal for War 1939-45 and the British War Medal 1939-45. There are cases where the awarding of both was prohibited – i.e. you could receive one or the other, but not both. This has been covered here on the forum previously, although I just took a quick look and could not find it.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 04-24-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typo
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

thanks. I trawled around a bit and it also evaded me.

It's likely buried somewhere within a thread. I'd have to revisit this to get the facts straight, but from memory there's a document set within a grouping I own that have the soldier requesting his British War Medal. He receives a reply that under the condition that he has not received his Polish War Medal he needs to complete some paperwork and they will send him the British medal. The unusual part is that the issuance of both the Polish and British medals was normal, so at some point there may have been a decision to change protocols. I'm away at the moment but will dig into this again and post over the weekend as time permits.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Sorry to take so long at revisiting this thread. The veteran is making an application for his British decorations. Three of them have been sent with the British War Medal being withheld pending completion of a document attesting that he has "been awarded the Medal Wojska . . . but have not been issued with the Medal, may be awarded the British War Medal instead".

The grouping as I obtained it from a person connected with the family was intact and not messed with. It does contain a correct "wartime" issue Polish Medal Wojska with award document along with The British War Medal. So either the vet fibbed to get his British War Medal, or obtained the Polish Medal Wojska afterwards. My hunch is the former, although we'll never know for sure.

Regards,
    Tony

probably a case of " fill your boots "

For the record, here's a run down of several medal types - left to right:

Spink & Son, London
    Arthus Bertrand, Paris
    F.M. Lorioli, Rome
    Unknown maker - patterned on the Italian made version (this example was issued to a veteran of the Polish resistance c/w London issue award doc.)
    Kretschmer, Jerusalem
    Panasiuk, Warsaw
    Copy by unknown maker

(click on photo to magnify)

Regards,
    Tony
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 03-28-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: updated information

another observance, varied ribbon segment widths

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    another observance, varied ribbon segment widths
    . . . not to mention colour shades.

While on this topic, the regulation ribbon was prescribed as being 36mm width, dark cherry-red with four 2mm wide stripes, one at each edge and two spaced 9mm from the edges.

Regards,
    Tony

Default my father's Medal Wojska

So it looks like my father's Medal Wojska is the Jerusalem version
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16

Elzunia Gradosielska Olsson
    Kresy Family group
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Army Medal for War (Medal Wojska za Wojne) 1939-45  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast