Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Army uniform colour help

Article about: This is a picture of Private Sowinski, a driver with 2 Corps Polish Army. I would like to know if someone can advise me on the colour of his a) tunic b) shirt c) tie d) tunic buttons e) coll

?

Default Polish Army uniform colour help

This is a picture of Private Sowinski, a driver with 2 Corps Polish Army. I would like to know if someone can advise me on the colour of his

a) tunic
    b) shirt
    c) tie
    d) tunic buttons
    e) collar flashes

I am colouring this image for a friend and wish to get an accurate representation.

Thank you

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Army uniform colour help  

?

This is a tough one. A private would normally be wearing a British made battledress blouse (BD) made of wool sort of a khaki color. The battle dress blouse was not to be worn open collar but rather buttoned up tight to the neck. It was the practice of the Poles to have their BD's tailored so they could be worn with shirt and tie.

He appears to be wearing a proper four pocket tunic more inline with what officers wore. It is fully lapeled like a sports coat.

The tie, shirt and jacket would have all been some shade of khaki brown. The buttons would have been a dark brown or dark green as they were made of plastic. Metals one would be a dark pewter color. Look at some of the images posted on this site here to get an idea of battledress color

The collar pennants would be of the regiment he was in. It appears as if there is a white stripe with tow other colors above and below. With knowing the regiment I can;t help you there. I am sure others can offer some input.
    cheers,
    Piwo

?

Dear Piwo

Thank you very much for your advice, it is really appreciated.

Best wishes

Mark

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. First off we'll shift this thread over to the correct section dealing with WW2 exiled armed forces. Now, to add to the info Piwo provided:

Regarding uniform colours, this period photo of CiC General Sikorski with General Klimecki standing alongside show the tunic, shirt and tie colours:

I'll also add this photo of a half-mannequin I have displayed at home:

If the fellow in your portrait served as a driver it's likely the collar pennons are these, which were worn by those serving in the Polish 2nd Corps supply units:

Hope that helps. Please post the re-coloured photo for us when you're done.

Cheers,

Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Default Polish Soldier Coloured Uniform

Dear Tony

Thank you for sharing with me the marvelous photos and the collar pennons. I hope you think I have done this fellow justice.

I have tried to keep the colours in the same style as your picture of General Sikorski, that is slightly muted.

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Army uniform colour help  

Hi Mark, that's looking much better . One small suggestion though. I think the background colour would look better in a brownish sepia tone - like the one of ol' Abe below. The present shade of green just doesn't do it for me:

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Default Brown background

Dear Tony

Thank you. I agree and think the brown background is much better

Regards

Mark

" Oompa loompa doompety dee, If you are wise you'll listen to me! " as my daughter used to sing after watching the Willy Wonka movie . Job well done Mark

Cheers, Tony