Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish battledress for review

Article about: Guys take a look what fell into my hands. What do You think is oryginal?

Default Polish battledress for review

Guys take a look what fell into my hands. What do You think is oryginal?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish battledress for review   Polish battledress for review  

Polish battledress for review   Polish battledress for review  

Polish battledress for review  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish battledress for review 

Letter "N" on the WD stamp is for 1943 Issue date.

Enybody?

Hi Lukasz,

All components appear genuine and of correct Palestinian production for 2nd Corps usage, save the 8th Army shield, origin unknown. This patch is technically correct, although the bullion thread version was usually found on officer uniforms.

There does appear to be some inconsistency between the faded 2nd Corps syrenka patch and the others. Although some of these ‘syrenki’ were produced in a lighter shade. A hands on inspection would be helpful.

Also, I’d need to check re the use 2nd Armoured collar tabs for sappers in addition to the red/black unit flash found below the left arm insignia. Collar tabs were most prevalent in the 3DSK and 5KDP infantry divisions. Also, the tabs are sloppily placed on the collar points, something the fastidious Poles, especially an officer, would not typically tolerate.

Overall I am not completely comfortable that we have an honest to goodness period BD here. A 2nd Lieutenant rank is the easiest to fabricate, and coupled with some of the other little missteps my spider senses are tingling. Sorry I can’t be more positive, but such is the situation with uniforms in our hobby, with 'put togethers' outnumbering survivors at what seems like at least a 50:1 ratio.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

It is the same with WW II US uniforms. You need a damned good eye to spot the "probably not's". It takes experience and that is the hard part. It gets better though.

I noticed this BD on allegro and I am satisfied it is a "Polish" BD jacket, just by the converted and pointed collar, you don't see this on Brit BD's. Now are the patches original to the BD is another question, but if you are going through the effort of badging this baby up why not just add some nice Polish Paratrooper collar kites and 1st Corps Poland titles...

Thank for Your opinion Tony, as always You hit the point. I did not notice those collar tabs. Just like You said Polish officer would never agree with this sewing. IMHO The tailored collar looks ok, and jacket seems to be oryginal war time polish, but im not interested in resewing, or restoring, Im looking for 100% oryginal items, so i left that jacket.
    Regards

Lukasz, if it is a genuine BD with period applied insignia you are after then you were wise to pass on that one. While an un-messed with BD with trustworthy provenance is seldom seen they are out there. So stay on the hunt and you will eventually find one. But start saving your złotówki now!

Quote by cichociemny View Post
    . . . but if you are going through the effort of badging this baby up why not just add some nice Polish Paratrooper collar kites and 1st Corps Poland titles...
    Nick, because every third fake BD out there is already badged up for a 1SBS paratrooper!

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne