Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Beret, Medals and Badges

Article about: Hi Guys, I've recently started volunteering in a small local war museum (The Carillon War Memorial Tower in Loughborough, Leicestershire) and we were given some Polish items as a donation. T

Default Polish Beret, Medals and Badges

Hi Guys,

I've recently started volunteering in a small local war museum (The Carillon War Memorial Tower in Loughborough, Leicestershire) and we were given some Polish items as a donation. These included a couple of badges and a beret. We've currently got them on display alongside some Polish medals we'd already held in the collection.

I've basically been tasked to ask if anyone knows the significance of the items pictured (I'm especially intrigued by the small square enamel badge).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

The small enameled badge: "wzorowy zolnierz " (Exemplary Soldier ) is post war communist badge.
    Can you take pictures of inside of the beret and a reverse of the parachute badge (one laying on red box).

?

You may wish to display the medals in the order a Polish Soldier would be required to wear them. Left to right while viewing them.
    1-Polish War Medal
    2-39-45 Star
    3-France and Germany Star
    4-Defense Medal
    Thanks for sharing this.

Piwo
    Are there any words or numbers on the reverse of the Polish para badge?

What is this interesting unit patch? It looks like a Phoenix (Polish eagle?) rising from the flames? I have not seen this design before.

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    The small enameled badge: "wzorowy zolnierz " (Exemplary Soldier ) is post war communist badge.
    Can you take pictures of inside of the beret and a reverse of the parachute badge (one laying on red box).
    Hi there,

Here's the reverse of the parachute badge (I checked the inside of the beret and it's obviously a modern civilian beret purchased simply to display the badges - it has 'Denbeigh Castle' on the inside, so probably a holiday souvenir!!)

I think the first name on the badge looks like TOBIE and then S...etc?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    What is this interesting unit patch? It looks like a Phoenix (Polish eagle?) rising from the flames? I have not seen this design before.

I've no idea about this cloth badge, I hope someone can also explain its significance.

Quote by Friedland View Post

I think the first name on the badge looks like TOBIE and then S...etc?
    The inscription on the Polish para wing is " "Tobie Ojczyzno" which means "For my Country" and was the motto of the Polish paras.

With the numbers on the badge it will be possible to tell who was awarded the para wing and the numbered combat wreath. If genuine, this could be the wing awarded to a Polish para dropped at Arnhem which would be terrific to find out as it will be 70 years since the ill-fated battle this coming September. It will also make this an extremely valuable exhibit, as Polish para wings are highly sought after by Polish militaria collectors and market values are stratospheric! Again if the wing proves genuine, it needs keeping safely when displayed!

When Gary, Andrzeiku or Tony are online they will be able to help identify who was awarded this wing and if it is an original award as these are highly replicated.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Ok ... The wing.

2509 / 1070

Kpr/Pchr Janusz Sienkiewicz.

3rd Battalion HQ Company.

(Arnhem) Jumped on the 23rd at Grave from A/C initial chalk No.70.

The wing is authentic.

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Ok ... The wing.

2509 / 1070

Kpr/Pchr Janusz Sienkiewicz.

3rd Battalion HQ Company.

(Arnhem) Jumped on the 23rd at Grave from A/C initial chalk No.70.

The wing is authentic.

Gary J.
    Guys,

That's absolutely fantastic. I'll make sure the badge is displayed securely and appropriately with the personal details (who it was awarded to etc).

A great addition to our small museum I think!