Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Cigarette Case - Italia 1946

Article about: Hi all. Thought this latest purchase might be of some interest. Made to commemorate the Polish Army in Italy in 1946. I find this interesting as it represents a time when members of the Poli

Default Polish Cigarette Case - Italia 1946

Hi all. Thought this latest purchase might be of some interest. Made to commemorate the Polish Army in Italy in 1946. I find this interesting as it represents a time when members of the Polish armed forces in the West faced an uncertain future, the War being over but no return to their homeland in sight. Quite cheaply made from plastic but very nice in my opinion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Cigarette Case - Italia 1946   Polish Cigarette Case - Italia 1946  

Polish Cigarette Case - Italia 1946  

Interesting piece, i like that.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Interesting piece, i like that.
    the yellow cross on white field badge in the middle of the case, is the patch of the British Eighth Army.

?

Never seen that before. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

A small geeky observation Spitace41. You will notice that the backing to the 8th Armoured shield and the 2nd Armoured Div badge is slightly pearlescent. These are probably made from plastic sheeting liberated from one of the accordion factories in the area of the town of Ancona in Northern Italy. Accordion keyboards are set into pearlescent boards. Quite a lot of Polish badges from 2 Korpus can be found made of this plastic which was often reversed so that the pearlescent coating was on the back. It is perfectly possible that the whole cigarette case was made from plastic from one of the accordion factories. A very interesting example of making do with what was available.

Not a geeky observation at all, mate. A much appreciated one in fact that having just googled insignia made from the same material adds a very interesting provenance to this piece.

Very nice. I have a similar one shown on the forum somewhere.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!