Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Polish Exile helmet Eagles

Article about: Tony, Thanks for posting that photo, ... I have seen it before when I believe Rafal N. owned one similar. This again is yet another confirmed variant connected to the Parachute Brigade. This

Default Re: Polish Exile helmet Eagles

Quote by Marcin View Post
    Ivan,
    I agree that are white and yellow eagles. One thing is more sure that 2nd Corps ones are not so nice in shape as 1st Corps. I mean, they are one piece stencil without any details like mine.
    We will never know if was more yellow one´s or white. We can only base on helmets which are survived.
    Yes, the vast majority of 2nd Corps eagles that I have encountered are either one-piece stencils or even "free-hand" painted (i.e., painted without the use of a stencil and usually characterized by not being exactly symmetrical on both sides of the wings / body / shield). Sometimes they are a little more detailed (see my icon for an example, which is from a helmet of the 6th Armoured Regiment), and they are also almost always locally- or field-made (which is why, although stenciled, the designs are usually only seen on a single surviving example and are obviously not of any "standard" or recognized pattern).

Quote by IvanPutski View Post
    . . . they are also almost always locally- or field-made (which is why, although stenciled, the designs are usually only seen on a single surviving example and are obviously not of any "standard" or recognized pattern).
    Thanks Ivan for your continued knowledgeable input on what is an area of the hobby that remains shrouded in uncertainty for most of us.

Here’s my offering of a helmet that fits into this category. It’s one I’ve owned several years and like the look and feel of. Although as is so often the case in the helmet arena, especially with a non-recognized pattern, I am basing my thoughts on circumstantial evidence coupled with a healthy dose of always objective gut feel . I’ve kept the helmet exactly as found along with the remains of its past inhabitants from the environs of a rural UK storage shed. It was found there along with three other WW2 era British helmets, and those were genuine.

Regards,
    Tony

PS If anyone can provide me with a WW2 period photo of this pattern in use there’s a handsome reward awaiting them!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by Marcin View Post
    Ivan,
    One thing is more sure that 2nd Corps ones are not so nice in shape as 1st Corps. I mean, they are one piece stencil without any details like mine.
    Here are a few more examples of 2 Corps one-piece stenciled eagles (the first one may be free-hand painted; it is sometimes difficult to tell):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Exile helmet Eagles   Polish Exile helmet Eagles  

?

very nice samples!

And here are a few helmets that have stenciled eagles, but not of commonly recognized patterns. The first one is from the 1st Armoured Division. The second one is from 2 Corps (I am almost 100% certain on that). On the third one, though, I am not sure where the pattern originated from. Although I have seen it on several helmets, I have not been able to link any of them to either 1st or 2nd Corps. If any forum member has information on the origin of the third design, please let us know.

Attached Images Attached Images Polish Exile helmet Eagles 

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Very very nice !!!

(Any chance of a close up of the Para helmet ??)
    Sorry I forgot all about that request; but better late than never.

Hello,
    Here is the picture of a polish tanker helmet, found near Criquebeuf sur Seine, where the 1rst Polish Armoured Division built the bridge « Warszawa » over the Seine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best regards.
    ZP

Nice one ZP. The background information on this helmet is good to know.

Posted earlier in this thread, here's another look from a slightly diferent angle of a British fibre rim that sits 'off the beaten track' at the PISM in London . . .

Regards,
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Exile helmet Eagles 
    Last edited by A.J. Zawadzki; 10-04-2011 at 01:30 AM.
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Nice helmet ze-Pole. Here's an example from my collection (note the spring-style chinstrap). My example has a subtle camouflage effect. Does yours? It appears that it might. [Please note: The camera flash makes the eagle look brighter than it is to the naked eye] Polish Exile helmet Eagles

Quote by ze-pole View Post
    Hello,
    Here is the picture of a polish tanker helmet, found near Criquebeuf sur Seine, where the 1rst Polish Armoured Division built the bridge « Warszawa » over the Seine.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Best regards.
    ZP

First off, very nice helmet Ivan. Another beauty from that bottomless collection your yours.

In an earlier post you mention the use of gas detection paint for some of the eagles. Question: Are there physical characteristics one can look for to differentiate gas detection paint from standard yellow paint, or perhaps another non-invasive method that a layman can use to tell the difference? Or would this require more involved chemical analysis?

Regards,
    Tony

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast