Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Polish Flag, 1945 dated

Article about: An uncommon piece of equipment, some Polish flag for ceremonial use, 4 x 2 feet, made by R.D.S. (?) quite obviously dated 45. Worth noticing the caption "Poland" and the cross show

The fact that the flag has "Poland" and an instruction arrow showing which way the flag was flown might point to it being made in the UK and used by the British in official ceremonies rather than being used by Poles who would of course know it was the Polish flag and which way up it should be flown.

Maybe this flag was used for the "Victory" parade, for although no Poles actually attended the parade, the British government had invited the Warsaw communist government so was expecting a contingent to arrive for the parade in London. The official victrory parade leaflet also had a reference to a Polish Military Band in the programme but I have not seen confirmation that there was one actually playing during the celebrations.

By 1945 the Polish government in exile was derecognised so would probably not politically have been able to fly the Polish state colour in London as it no longer represented Poland in the UK.
    Last edited by StefanM; 04-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    The correct way to say this is they write "po polsku".

Cheers,
    Tony
    Hello Tony... I am afraid that when Poles speak Polish, "oni mówią po polsku", but when they say "Poland", "oni mówią 'Polska'". Może się mylę? ;-)

Quote by StefanM View Post
    The fact that the flag has "Poland" and an instruction arrow showing which way the flag was flown might point to it being made in the UK and used by the British in official ceremonies rather than being used by Poles who would of course know it was the Polish flag and which way up it should be flown.

Maybe this flag was used for the "Victory" parade, for although no Poles actually attended the parade, the British government had invited the Warsaw communist government so was expecting a contingent to arrive for the parade in London. The official victrory parade leaflet also had a reference to a Polish Military Band in the programme but I have not seen confirmation that there was one actually playing during the celebrations.

By 1945 the Polish government in exile was derecognised so would probably not politically have been able to fly the Polish state colour in London as it no longer represented Poland in the UK.
    Hello Stefan, I agree, this is probably a flag meant to represent Poland in official Allied ceremonies. Still we must remember that the USA and UK withdrew their support to the London government only in July 1945... and still, a Polish state as a matter of fact existed, even if the government had changed, and was still considered an Allied state, so I can't see why a Polish flag could not be flown in London...

I agree, a Polish state flag would have been flown by the People's Republic of Poland or Polska Rzeczpospolita Ludowa embassy or consulate etc in London but probably not at the offices of the former Polish governement-in exile which remained in London and had other institutional buildings around Great Britain which were not handed over to the newly recognised communist backed government of Poland, in Poland.

I honestly do not know what official protocols came into force during and after the transition of recognition between the two opposing Polish governments, it is an interesting point.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    I agree, a Polish state flag would have been flown by the People's Republic of Poland or Polska Rzeczpospolita Ludowa embassy or consulate etc in London but probably not at the offices of the former Polish governement-in exile which remained in London and had other institutional buildings around Great Britain which were not handed over to the newly recognised communist backed government of Poland, in Poland.

I honestly do not know what official protocols came into force during and after the transition of recognition between the two opposing Polish governments, it is an interesting point.
    Stefan, I guess you know that the PRL was proclaimed by the new "People's" Constitution in 1952, and that the name of the Polish State, 1944-1952, was Rzeczpospolita Polska. As for the Embassy, I don't know when was abandoned by the representatives of the Government in exile, and if they were replaced on the spot by the representatives of the new government (supposedly democratic, as requested by the Yalta agreement).

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    Hello Tony... I am afraid that when Poles speak Polish, "oni mówią po polsku", but when they say "Poland", "oni mówią 'Polska'". Może się mylę? ;-)
    Masz racje. Tutaj ja się pomyliłem . . . the confusion was mine. It’s not the act of writing but rather the spelling of Poland that was being discussed.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Masz racje. Tutaj ja się pomyliłem . . . the confusion was mine. It’s not the act of writing but rather the spelling of Poland that was being discussed.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Sure Tony.... but please do not forget that "Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła, póki my żyjemy, marsz marsz Dąbrowski, z ziemi włoskiej do Polski ... " Italians have got a strong affection for Poland.... and Polish girls!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2