MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

polish forces in the west lead cap badge

Article about: this is way out of my comfort zone but could i trouble anyone for an opinion on this badge? its made of lead. It is a car boot pick up. size 46 x 58mm

Default polish forces in the west lead cap badge

this is way out of my comfort zone but could i trouble anyone for an opinion on this badge?
    its made of lead.
    It is a car boot pick up.
    size 46 x 58mm

polish forces in the west lead cap badgepolish forces in the west lead cap badgepolish forces in the west lead cap badgepolish forces in the west lead cap badge

any ideas guys, didn't want to pass this on as a copy until i knew either way.
    appreciate any comments.

As with many of the "field made" pieces, judging authenticity is not easy without any supporting provenance. The Poles did produce hat (and other) badges cast in lead during the war, although the eagles I've seen are of the French wz.39 Alavoine pattern which were predrilled for fastening using needle and thread. This is a Gaunt pattern eagle, although those measured ~55x36mm. Are you certain about the measurements of this one?

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Many thanks tony for taking the time to reply.
    I will double check on the measurements when I return home on Tuesday and let you know.
    Like I said polish items are not my thing, but i spotted the Eagle and thought it may have a chance.

Thanks again for your time
    Ed

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    This is a Gaunt pattern eagle, although those measured ~55x36mm. Are you certain about the measurements of this one?
    sorry for the delayed reply tony, i have checked the measurements and you are correct. it is 55x36mm. my mistake.
    does the fact that it is a gaunt pattern eagle automatically discount it as period, or does it still stand some sort of chance??

thanks again for your time.
    Ed

Hi Ed, no worries. I thought those measurements first posted were a bit odd. Thanks for getting back to us.

As far as the eagle being cast from a Gaunt ruling out authenticity as a period piece, I wouldn’t quite go that far. And I do like the patina on this one. But there will be a shadow of doubt cast over it (pardon the pun). If it’s selling for super cheap it may be worth the gamble. But if you’re set on acquiring a known genuine example they do remain relatively plentiful and affordable.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne