Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 95 of 226 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 195 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    I like this one!
    Me too! Captain 1st Independent Para Brigade, by what is very likely Lock & Co. London. It has the telltale deformed hat band characteristic of this maker which results from failure of the early celluloid plastic backing used for stiffening. Over time it weakens and becomes brittle. A fine rogatywka nonetheless.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

bought with the badges
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    bought with the badges
    This looks like a Wm. Scully. Montreal product, but a variant using a threaded post rather than the more typical twin blade fastening found with these. The blades were connected to the badge at the top and bottom, rather than from the center like many Gaunts and Spinks. Please post a picture with the spinner removed. I am curious if this is a modified badge, or factory fastening. I’m inclined to think the latter as there’s no visible evidence that it once had the blades in the common Scully orientation.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

rear of badge. the screw post looks neatly affixed . I have always been under the impression that these type of eagles have what I would call ' heavy duty ' blade fixtures. a bit like British officer's ' bronze ' cap badges. bent once = OK , bent twice = broke.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Thats a pretty looking Eagle !
    Looking at the rear, the badge looks to be cast ???
    The stud seems to be inset either into the cast or a purpose thickened "high point" to take a short thread in the cast..

Can you confirm please ?

Gary J.

Fellows,

As we are looking at the Variants of the Scully - Eagle. Please see attached.

I think it is an interesting one - both in terms of fixing and surface finish / oxidisation.
    There is no doubts it is a minted / stamped Scully and does not have any signs of blades.

Thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

This one is in my collection
    It is a very heavy one almost 3-4mm
    Blades - sadly missing!

hello Gaz, it is die stamped with very dirty back. post is brazed / soldered what have you.

?

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    rear of badge. the screw post looks neatly affixed . I have always been under the impression that these type of eagles have what I would call ' heavy duty ' blade fixtures. a bit like British officer's ' bronze ' cap badges. bent once = OK , bent twice = broke.
    This is not factory fastening. Someone has soldered a flat head bolt. This badge looks to be unfinished stock. A factory finished badge would have been blued.

If William Scully Ltd. only manufactured badges with blades, then......................... interesting point but it doesn't look like one of these has been stuck on. verdigris, oxidisation, corrosion what have you etc present on back of badge, the effect of which may draw one to an erroneous conclusion. unsure about blueing, the thing is seventy odd years old so a little wear / loss of finish is to be expected. another object to go out the back.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

Page 95 of 226 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 105 145 195 ... LastLast