Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 96 of 226 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 196 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

?

This poor solder joint doesn't look like William Scully Ltd. quality...

' My dear Watson, in what way poor. Looks alright to me. A poor joint would have great gobs of braze / solder around the base as some of my other eagles will testify.'

'So, an OEM type of fixture, Holmes. Amazing ! What do you think Mrs. ..............er, '

' I don't know what all the fuss is about Mr. Watson '

' **** it Dude , let's go bowlin' '
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

?

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    ' My dear Watson, in what way poor. Looks alright to me. A poor joint would have great gobs of braze / solder around the base as some of my other eagles will testify.'

'So, an OEM type of fixture, Holmes. Amazing ! What do you think Mrs. ..............er, '

' I don't know what all the fuss is about Mr. Watson '

' **** it Dude , let's go bowlin' '
    Hahaha, **** it. Let's go bowling In a few years' time novice collectors will pay a hefty price for this bird with no question asked

Fellows
    Good to see you having fun - deliberating variants of the Scully Eagle.

I have some observations / hypothesis.

- I think - it is practically impossible to produce a repo of Scully without that repo being easily distinguishable from an original. The Scully Eagle was made with such specific technology and precise tools that resulted with very high quality finishing. Therefore, paradoxically - I think a counterfeiter would need to have original stamps to deliver "products" to trick even a novice collector who has seen and held an original.

- I am aware of a few types of Scully Eagle (there could easily be more) - 2 types of material (kind of steel and brass with different weight) and 4 types of fastening inc - 2 types of blades, omegas and the most difficult to find - the one with the tread (an imperial one). Some of those types are also oxidised and some not. The one with threads are very rare (again to my mind)

- In addition, I am aware of the version (that to my mind - is the rarest) that is a "production mistake" - stamp moved and deformed an Amazon Shield (I will ask a friend for his pictures and post them).

I would think that
    - Scully may have sold / rented the original stamps to a UK producer (who had changed material - form brass to kind of steel - making the production cheaper)
    - Agree with Kosa - that the eagle with thread may be pre-fabricates
    - All in all, it may well be the case that, in fact, Scully experimented with various fastenings having received the negative feedback that blades do not work

?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    - I think - it is practically impossible to produce a repo of Scully without that repo being easily distinguishable from an original.
    Hi Wadowicznic,

It is possible but PZ's badge is not a fake. It has unusual fastening. It might have been unfinished stock. Nobody can tell.
    The point is that many collectors look for information here and you should make sure that you do not confuse them

Cheers

Quote by kosa View Post
    . . .The point is that many collectors look for information here and you should make sure that you do not confuse them
    I fail to see anything confusing. Rather than harsh gestures of disapproval I suggest you ask for clarification of anything not understood. Let’s keep the discussion polite and respectful, please.

Thank you,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I fail to see anything confusing. Rather than harsh gestures of disapproval I suggest you ask for clarification of anything not understood. Let’s keep the discussion polite and respectful, please.
    Thank you,
    Tony
    Hi Tony,

You seem to have misunderstood me. I replied to Wadowicznicz's post who says there are "a few types of Scully Eagle", which is not true. There's just one. Never mind.
    Please accept my apologies if my post has caused you any inconvenience but don't accuse me of harsh gestures or being impolite. If you do not share my judgement on PZ's eagle badge tell me your opinion but don’t say I am being disrespectful because I say it is not a factory badge.

I think this covers everything.

Thank you for your attention,
    Tomasz

Fellows,

What truly comes up from that debate is the simple fact that - the subject of Polish WW2 Eagles is widely under-researched and it will take years (i think) - before "all" variants and types of Eagles are found and classified (if at all).

That research aspect is what I like in this hobby!

Given the gravitas of language above - time is of the essence to respond - so sorry for low quality pictures.

Therefore, to the benefit of fellow collectors and to make sure that I constructively respond to Kosa's comment ("I replied to Wadowicznicz's post who says there are "a few types of Scully Eagle", which is not true. There's just one. Never mind). - please see the picture that back my "own" classification of variants and types of Scully that I have explained above.

Variants of Scully are;

1) fastening 4 types - a) 2 types of blades, b) omegas (presented on the forum before) and c) thread
    2 material - "steel" and "brass" - they also differ in weight and size of sheet (aprox 1.2mm) that was used to stamp the eagle
    3) oxidised and natural finish (seems to me that brass had been oxidised and steel - no - but that may be only perception)
    3) "production mistake" - where the stamp de-formed the eagle

I hope that this post serves the purpose of helping a bit to understand the subject!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Hi again Wadowicznic,

A type is a formal design. Does the obverse and/or the reverse of the William Scully Ltd. eagle badges in your pictures differ from each other? Nope.
    The two badges in your pictures differ in factory prong fastening which is usual and often happens. The two badges have the same factory design but slightly different fastenings. They would be variants if their design deviated by only a slight difference from what the WS Ltd. standard is, but it doesn't. In other words, they are the same type. Logical, isn't it. And now compare the joint quality of the badges in your pictures to PZ's badge.

That's it. I do not want Zawadzki to pick on me again for like he put it harsh gestures of disapproval. Wish you had a little more humility guys.

Best,
    Tomasz

Kosa, I think what Tony was referring to was the thumbs down sign, not what you have actually said. (harsh gestures...)

Page 96 of 226 FirstFirst ... 46 86 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 106 146 196 ... LastLast