Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 97 of 226 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 147 197 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Exactly, thanks Tom. If anyone’s comments are not understandable let’s simply ask for clarification rather than posting thumbs down. Wadowicznic’s thoughtful post did not warrant it. Disagreements can be voiced in a gentlemanly manner. Let’s keep the atmosphere here friendly and positive in the exchange of thoughts, theories and knowledge.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Recently acquired, this is a piece that served as a patriotic souvenir of sorts. It is constructed with a high level of craftsmanship.

Polish Hat Eagles

The eagle is a full size wz.39 French Alavoine pattern measuring 54 x 33mm.

Polish Hat Eagles

The year 1942 is engraved into the amazon shield:

Polish Hat Eagles

It is stamped in what appears to be thin gauge metal, not typical of regular issue Alavoine hat eagles. Perhaps not Alavoine made, but by the craftsman expressly for this item - ??

The badge is mounted to a red fabric covered center section that is precisely inlaid into a three-ply wooden frame. It passes right through this perimeter frame.

Polish Hat Eagles

Interestingly the reverse has French language text describing the proposed Polish-Czechoslovak accord. This was a fragile concept pushed by General Sikorski to create a federation of European states as a bulwark against future Soviet and German aggression. The dates marked are those of the two significant events in the formulation of this accord.

November 11, 1940 was the date of the formal declaration by the two nations of their interest into closer economic and political ties. Then on January 23, 1942 both governments announced the formalization of their joint agreement on a post-war confederation. All the while though Edvard Benes, the leader of the exile Czechs, was lukewarm to the scheme as tensions remained from the pre-WW2 border squabbles between the two nations, and specifically the ill-timed 1938 Polish take over of the disputed Zaolzie / Teschen region. Sikorski’s death in 1943 and Benes’ courting of the Soviets resulted in the dissolution of the whole idea.

Polish Hat Eagles

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

hello chaps, been away a short time. enclosed two shots of Scully production eagle. one is a 99.9% standard version with blades complete, the other is a 'field modified ' ? one. the revamped badge has been repaired some may say, quite crudely with a soldered on british helmet lining retaining screw. this is partnered with its locknut that has a fibre insert that ' bites ' on the screw threads thereby preventing vibration etc causing the fastening to become undone. the locknut has a tradename, the name of which escapes me . (could be Simmonds ). if presented for purchase I reckon the one that would be chosen by most people would be the eagle that goes by the oft used description ' textbook ' example . however, knowing the background of the repaired badge , ex - I SBS, that's the one I would opt for.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

regarding the hermaphrodite Scully badge, as King Aella once said ' hold out the hand that defied me '. might be best to take a pair of pliers to the screw post and.........................................you know where you stand with a busted badge.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles 

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post

Interestingly the reverse has French language text describing the proposed Polish-Czechoslovak accord. This was a fragile concept pushed by General Sikorski to create a federation of European states as a bulwark against future Soviet and German aggression. The dates marked are those of the two significant events in the formulation of this accord.

November 11, 1940 was the date of the formal declaration by the two nations of their interest into closer economic and political ties. Then on January 23, 1942 both governments announced the formalization of their joint agreement on a post-war confederation. All the while though Edvard Benes, the leader of the exile Czechs, was lukewarm to the scheme as tensions remained from the pre-WW2 border squabbles between the two nations, and specifically the ill-timed 1938 Polish take over of the disputed Zaolzie / Teschen region. Sikorski’s death in 1943 and Benes’ courting of the Soviets resulted in the dissolution of the whole idea.

Polish Hat Eagles

Regards,
    Tony
    What a fabulous ryngraf and great addition to your collection, Tony.

Especially so, with the inscription referring to the Polish-Czechoslovak accord. IMO this was Retinger's initiative rather than one from Sikorski who was the state figurehead with the necessary gravitas to get Retinger's plans on the table. As part of the grand-plan Retinger and Sikorski were willing to see a realignment of Poland's borders westwards to reach an accommodation with the USSR on its eastern borders. In his memoir Retinger was later to describe Yalta a 'reasonable outcome'.

The ryngraf is very well crafted so I wonder if this was made as a one-off or a series given to mark the event?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Hi Stefan, thanks for your kind words and the added historical background. Retinger’s name figured in some of my research into this piece, and it is indeed likely this shadowy figure was influential, if not the prime mover, in promoting the scheme.

Quote by StefanM View Post
    . . . The ryngraf is very well crafted so I wonder if this was made as a one-off or a series given to mark the event?
    It has the form of a ryngraf, although I didn’t call it that due to the absence of the typical religious imagery associated with actual ryngrafs. Judging from the overall quality I had the same thought that maybe it’s a one-off run of souvenirs intended for the diplomatic exchange of gifts marking the event - ?? It was found within a group of 2DSP items, and off the cuff I can’t see a connection other than the French made Alavoine eagle being a type that would be found on the headwear of the interned soldiers. Although, I suspect the eagle was made expressly for this piece using the Alavoine pattern. Maybe one day a piece of the puzzle will drop into place to help shed more light on this item.

Cheers,
    Tony

Because Retinger was the ultimate éminence grise much about his profoundly influential role in European affairs remains obscure or cloaked behind various prominents such as Sikorski, even today. This obscurity is compounded because Retinger hardly ever took notes at meetings or pushed himself to the fore which has led to all kinds of conspiracy theories surrounding the éminence grise, especially with Poles.

Tony, are the last two words on the reverse of the ryngraf a name? I cannot make them out in the photo.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Gents,
    This Eagle was found sometime ago in Poland - i finally got the pictures.
    It has the markings that relate to the Regiment of Carpathian Lancers.

Has anybody got the pictures of a similar specimen(s) and / or some source - reference information?.

There is a very good book by Bielatowicz - published in 1965 - 66 (if i remember correctly) - titled - Carpathian Lancers - perhaps it contains some references?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

not wishing to be controversial and at the risk of raising my head above the parapet it appears that some form of etching / pitting ( acid ?) process was used to take down the smooth surface of the shield and thus create Ulani Karpacki. Similar to that used on electronic circuit boards etc. Most appealing.There, I've said it.

Perhaps another Variant identyfied?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Fellows
    Another unknown variant - just download the picture off the net
    Can it be identified - second similar found?

Page 97 of 226 FirstFirst ... 47 87 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 107 147 197 ... LastLast