Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 101 of 226 FirstFirst ... 51 91 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Hello Mark,

You're most welcome. And you're correct about the safety pin being a modification. The original fastening was likely by means of twin metal blades which typically break after repeated bending. These were also produced with twin lugs and threaded posts, but the blade type fastening was most common. Examples of all fastening systems are pictured earlier in this thread.

From a purely collector standpoint, a badge with original fastening intact is more desirable. However, the fact that you know the story behind the badge, that it is a part of your family history, and its personal significance to you easily trump any condition issues. I'd recommend that you write down the badge's history on a small piece of paper and keep it with the badge for posterity.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fellows

Continuing to the subject of the contribution of Polish Free Forces to the liberation of Holland (Breda etc) - actually, there is a very interesting aspect that links this subject to the history of Eagles of Polish Free Forces.

During my modest work aimed at collecting the "source" info on WW2 Eagles - I have come across the poster that can be seen at the Sikorski's in the room dedicated to the 1Arm Div - the poster features the drawing of the Eagle that is itself one of the rarest of Polish WW2 Eagles. Various sources assume that it was made in Germany 45+.

The poster is framed and therefore, unfortunately, I was unable to locate; name of printer / date of print etc (normally posters like that have info like that in small print).
    Info of that nature would provide very valuable link / clue - re provenience of the this particular variant.

Perhaps this variant - was not made in Germany but actually in Holland?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,
    Just to put the previous post in the context.

One of the Navy Eagles at Sikorski's
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

One more

Polish Hat Eagles

Nice find - especially the casted one

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...et-fnd-434830/

Fellows,

In terms of categorising the small 40mm Eagles, this particular type deserves some more consideration / research – finally I have come across good pictures. Unfortunately, I do not have a pictures featuring it mounted, neither can pinpoint the manufacturer / time etc.

This Eagle comes in 2 generic variants - Army and Navy.
    Design is very similar to well known type by J R Gaunt’s of London (also Army and Navy). Interestingly however, it seems that the manufacturer used the Gaunt’s stamp / design as some of the features are virtually identical (inc. wings, shield). However, still, there are many distinctive details (specifically eagle’s head). Fixing is distinctive too – kind of omegas – but not quite the same ones as typical English ones.

On the relative basis, this type is far less seen than the Gaunt’s.

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Recently purchased with a lot of 3 DSK insignia: a lead cast eagle, with no pin and damaged. Maybe not the best of specimens, but still I guess is a good one, even if I have never come across a lead one... what's the opinion of the experts?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Fellows,

In terms of categorising the small 40mm Eagles, this particular type deserves some more consideration / research – finally I have come across good pictures. Unfortunately, I do not have a pictures featuring it mounted, neither can pinpoint the manufacturer / time etc.

This Eagle comes in 2 generic variants - Army and Navy.
    Design is very similar to well known type by J R Gaunt’s of London (also Army and Navy). Interestingly however, it seems that the manufacturer used the Gaunt’s stamp / design as some of the features are virtually identical (inc. wings, shield). However, still, there are many distinctive details (specifically eagle’s head). Fixing is distinctive too – kind of omegas – but not quite the same ones as typical English ones.

On the relative basis, this type is far less seen than the Gaunt’
    Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

variations on a theme ( Rachmaninoff on Paganini )

A sailor hat for enlisted men of the Polish navy

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles