Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 109 of 226 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 119 159 209 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

?

Quote by AlexKG200 View Post
    Could you please tell me when eagle badge was made? 1940 or later?
    This seems to be an early badge made in the 40's.

Hi
    Welcome to the forum !. Very nice eagles.

Re "spink eagle" you may find useful some of the previous posts - especially - one on page - 104 nr 1038. It places the Spink "symmetrical" - made of steel version" in social context and dates it.
    From my research (pictorial archives) - i would risk a hypothesis that steel and symmetrical version was the first one - made in 1941 and then "asymmetrical" version followed. There must have been a problem with the stamp sometime in 1942.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for confirming that this is Spink& Son eagle badge(#2)Could you please tell me when eagle badge was made? 1940 or later? Thank you

Regards
    Aleks S

Fellows,

Finally (good news!) - I have come across a very good quality picture of the badge of the Polish White Cross - that features a very characteristic Eagle. Badge is small badge c 3x3cm.

More on the Polish White Cross and its contribution / association with the Polish military at the beginning of XXc can be found - on page 104 post 1038.

At present - I do not have any more information as to the date / manufacturer of the badge - it could be made in Poland before WW2 and / or in France during WW1. The US made version of the badge existed also.

Perhaps any of you can share pictures / knowledge re Polish White Cross badges / eagles?

I am quite intrigued by the subject - as it seems to be well under researched - and scope for "discoveries" is exciting - perhaps we can build a list of variants?

Polish Hat Eagles

Hello,

Thank you Wadowicznic. I greatly appreciate your response!

Regards
    A.S.

Thank you as well, Kosa!

Regards
    A.S.

Hello,

Sorry to bother you, again. I purchased this eagle. I haven't managed to I.D. this Eagle badge. I would be greteful for any suggestions. French? but crown looks like pre- WW2. Really don't know. Thank you
    Regards
    A.S.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Hi Alex,

Not a common cap badge. Is it a cast or stamped white metal badge? Considernig the plain fitting this looks to be one of over 150 variants of wz.19 cap badge. Most of them were low cost cap badges manufactured locally in small quantities and remain unknown.

Best,
    Kosa

Hello,

Sorry to bother you, again. I purchased this eagle. I haven't managed to I.D. this Eagle badge. I would be greteful for any suggestions. French? but crown looks like pre- WW2. Really don't know. Thank you
    Regards
    A.S.
    Alex

Many thanks for the post.

You may have seen some of the previous posts - where we have collectively been trying to "ID / categorise" - workshop / field made Eagles.

Therefore - many thanks for the very valuable contribution to our effort - by presenting your Eagle!
    The methodology we have adopted is well too simplistic - basically a "new variant" is identified provided that a) second materially similar specimen is found and / or b) pictorial confirmation exist.

Unfortunately - a proper identification of field made Eagles - is very difficult. In practice - in vast majority of cases - it is impossible to confirm precisely a name of manufacturer and / or exact period of production.

To my knowledge - at this stage - only 3 "field made Eagles" have been connected with a specific producer - i may decide to write specific post on them - when i become 100% sure.

I do not know - if I am right (or even close to be) and will take criticism with modesty - but, seems to me that there are a few "patterns / trends" that help to place "workshop / field made Eagles" in specific locations via pictorial confirmations and sets associated with specific persons.

1. Middle East - majority of variants I know "IDed" - are made of "kind of brass" (ammunition shells?) and fastening is in a form of thread/nut or vertical prongs. There also is a very rare version with omegas (style as for UK Army cap badges). I think that, copper based - material was used widely as; a) there was not restriction on copper in ME during the war, unlike in the UK and b) local producers in Palestine / Egypt and Syria knew the "copper" melting technology well since antiquity.

2. UK / Scotland. In contrast to Mid-East - majority of UK made "field Eagles" are made of lead / zinc / aluminium (or their mixture). There are a number of pictorial confirmations and actual specimens. As mentioned, a reason for those materials may have been simple - restrictions on wasteful use of copper.

Importantly for you - actually - there - is a very well documented 40mm small Eagle (Gaunt type) made in Scotland with a fastening via a horizontal copper wire - similar to your Eagle. There is also a variant (well documented) made of "aluminium".

3. France and USSR - majority of field made Eagles are cut out of steel used to produce tins or aluminium (spoons / mess-kit). There are also some rare pictorial confirmations of casted Eagles. However, due to an actual history of formation of Polish Army in France (there was c15 depos / assembly locations) - it is not excluded that some casted or stamped versions emerged locally.

4. Germany - at Sikorski's in London there is an example (a picture only) - of so appears to be lead casted Eagle (pre 39 pattern). I am also aware of POW Eagles with provenience made of aluminium.

Finally - it is well documented - that various Polish collectors in the UK had started production of their own designs to supply replacement Eagles for veterans and youth-organisations in 50ts - up to 90ts. I am aware of 3-4 names - most prominent of them was Mr Mieczyslaw Bialkiewicz - in his own right a very distinguished person. Actually - one of his Eagles was recently sold on ebay (see pictures).

All in all - if i was going to guess - probability / circumstantial evidence points for it to be - a UK / Scotland made Eagle as location A guess. As location B - I would say France.

As to the time - it may be "any-time from 1940 - 1995". Perhaps - the 2nd specimen will be found and we add this "variant" to gallery!!! - this would be great!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,

Further to our discussions re "Field made Eagles" - this particular variant was used and discovered in the UK. Material - aluminium ?. Time - unknown.

Courtesy of a very good friend.

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

?

Possibly a badge cast for Wehrmacht POW of Polish descent, who joined the 2nd Polish Corps. By the way, who liberated Bologna?

Best,
    Kosa