Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 128 of 226 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 138 178 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Fellows,
    Just got the pictures
    Relatively rare variant of G-40mm Eagle - the Army version- with fastening via vertical pin, typically seen used for the Navy version.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

No idea about this one... but I figured someone may know. This came is a large lot of Pre war pins, medals, and badges.

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

?

Hi there,

This is a pre-war road service badge. Stamped brass approximately 59 mm by 45 mm. Hope this helps.

Best,
    Kosa

Fellows,
    I am happy to report that I have come across a very interesting clue / information re very early and rare version of Polish Army Eagle - the picture below was taken in Bucharest in 1919 - and shows (most likely) a member of 4th Polish division of Gen Zeligowski.

The 4th Division, originally started as the units of Polish 2nd Eastern Corp in Ukraine and after many adventures - including, defending Odessa against Bolsheviks alongside French and Greek expedition forces and transit via Romania in March 1919 to reach Poland and continued fighting during so called "Ukrainian" war. Division ended up in Q3 1919 to be amalgamated within Polish Army (under nr 10th).

Reality is that pictures featuring 4th division are very rare, as (if I remember correctly), it actually totalled c4000 people only.

This particular picture features an Eagle - that must have been one of the earliest versions produced shortly after independence in Q4 1918.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,
    A very good friend - himself a distinguished collector, has shared with me the following pictures - to help us to extend the knowledge of Polish ww2 Eagles.

In broad terms, following order by Gen Gaulle’a from September 28th, 1944 re operation „Amalgame” a part of Polish Resistance in France 1940 - 45 - protested against the unfair rules proposed to foreign members of French Resistance - a) being amalgamated with the Foreign Legion and / or b) being forced to take French passports and amalgamated into the 1st French Army.
    The leadership of part of Polish Resistance teamed up with the Komitetem Wyzwolenia Narodowego (Comité de Libération Nationale – CLN) - basically representatives of Communists' regime that was taking hold in Poland when the Soviet Army crossed the Bug river, and obtained the permission to form distinctive Polish units (including symbols). Units functioned as Polish Infantry Groups within the 1st French Army and are known as "Dunaj -Ren", formations. Polish units followed the combat achievements of 1st French Army form January until May 45.

Although the actual deeds of this particular unit have second less "honourable" episode given that, around 1500, went back to Poland in November 45 and effectively supported the regime and its security forces in particular - it is not our job to dismiss the Eagle.

Presented below pictures provide vary valuable insight - the Eagle has the crown removed to reflect the association with the Comité de Libération Nationale, but follows 1939 / 40 Free Polish Army design.

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Default Can someone identify this WW2 cap badge please?

At least, I have been told it is from WW2 and probably from the Polish Army 2nd Corps. Thank you in advance, Ryszard. Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Hello Ryszard,

Welcome to the forum! In my humble opinion, this is a pre-WW2 Eagle badge, 27 pattern, police (wz. 27) Please wait for the more experienced Polish Eagles badge collectors opinion. Thank you

Kind Regards
    Alex

Quote by AlexKG200 View Post
    Hello Ryszard,

Welcome to the forum! In my humble opinion, this is a pre-WW2 Eagle badge, 27 pattern, police (wz. 27) Please wait for the more experienced Polish Eagles badge collectors opinion. Thank you

Kind Regards
    Alex
    Thank you Alex. That does make some sense as it belonged to my grandfather who was born in 1896 and fought in the Polish Soviet War and then in WW2 with the 2nd Corps. He was an Osadnik in the Kresy and originated from Kraków. He may have acquired this eagle at any point during that part of his life. I am grateful to you and await further opinions from members.

Kind Regards,
    Ryszard

Default PoW aluminium eagle?

Can anyone help inform me more about this eagle? I think it is from WW2 but who would want to create this and for what purpose other than something to do under incarcerated conditions? Could it have been made in Russia or Central Asia at the time of the formation of Anders' Army? It has 4 holes and is 7 cm tall and 5 cm wide at its widest. What could it have been attached to? Is it likely to be earlier than WW2? Again, thanks in advance for any info or opinions. Best Regards, Ryszard.Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Hi Richard,
    Thank You for posting the Eagle.

All the hypothesis that you have put forward are possible in this particular case (CCCP and /or POW).

My experience suggests that aluminium handmade Eagles typically show up in groupings associated with 2nd Cor and Eagles date back to the formation of Polish Army in CCCP (pre-evacuation). However, it is impossible to say for sure in case of this specific Eagle – unless you know the story of your grandfather - Please post if you do!!!.

Without going into details, essentially Polish Army in CCCP was formed from a small % of over 1.5m+ of Polish citizens who “using diplomatic and legal language not to upset the members that may have different view on contribution of CCCP into victory over Nazis” – had been effectively illegally imprisoned with the premeditated intent to be exterminated - by the Saline’s regime.

Various methods had been used - either by virtue of a) being forcibly relocated to remote parts of the vast empire and resettled on the “raw land” to starve or b) formally sentenced by courts to punishment - labour / concentration camps with a very low survival rate. History of this imprisonment and political moves that led to it, actually, is one of the most complex legal case in history (with the Katyn and others 21,000+ direct genocide being the parts of it). All the political moves are well described in the very rare book “Stalin and the Poles” (recommended).

Regarding CCCP made Eagles - from the research so far, it looks like there was no regular / large shipments of Eagles from England (at that time both Gaunt and Spink Eagles existed) to CCCP in conjunction with shipments of uniforms and some basic equipment. If I remember correctly B-Dresses has been send Q4 41/Q1 42 from England via Archangelsk. However virtually only a small proportion of pictures form the pre-evacuation period show the soldiers with G Eagle. For instance, gen Andes had one.

Volunteers improvised and used various materials – mainly aluminium.

Clearly what makes those Eagles relevant is not the design and finish, but their bespoke-one-off nature, human emotions and tragic circumstances that surrounded their creation. First Eagles acquired at the outset of the "new life" - clearly remained as powerful uniting factor for people essentially rescued form certain death. Eagles stayed in people’s collections for years – as owners kept them together with much better specimens acquired as the Army (2nd cor) moved via middle-east to Italy and UK.

The biggest collection of those handmade in CCCP Eagles can be found in the archives of Sikorski’s Institute in London - select of pictures attached.

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Last edited by wadowicznic; 11-08-2015 at 09:10 AM.