Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 27 of 226 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

?

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

any thoughts on this one?
    vet association???
    post war effort I suppose,
    probably of not much value....
    or yes???
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

?

Very much in the style and composition of an Association item ..
    .. Value ... more intrinsic than monetary I think..

Gary J.

FAB
    ?

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi again Rick,

Thanks for the added pics.

Unfortunately, all I can say for certain is the Beret Industries beret itself looks OK. But the Polish insignia is very suspect in its application. The black backing for the eagle badge is unusual, and is not technically correct. My first thought was ‘is it there to cover the marks left from a previous badge?’. The rank star is in the wrong location, and should be placed directly below the eagle.

As you say:

Well, not all. But certainly a healthy proportion. Forums such as ours exist to help weed out the bad stuff, so you’re in good company here. As far as this beret, I wish I could say otherwise, but this one bears the qualities of a put together piece. If you are considering purchase I would recommend passing on this one.

Regards,
    Tony
    Tony, No worries as I really wanted opinions on the beret/badge. Fortunately, the beret was a gift from a friend who collects military headgear in general, so no hard feelings or monetary loss. I am pleased about the badge as its a variation I did not have. I dont know if this makes a difference but the cloth rectangle behind the badge is actually dark green rather than black. Thanks again for everything.
    Best,
    Rick

FAB
    ?

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Hello Rick and welcome aboard ..

The "rectangular" fastening for the back of the eagle looks to me to be the "end cap" off a sten gun magazine !!!!

As ever, the Poles adapted anything they could lay their hands on !!

Regards

Gary J.
    Thank You Gary, Good to be Here. I would have never guessed a sten gun back plate!
    Best,
    Rick

Hi Rick,

This rectangular backing, regardless of colour, is something I don’t recall ever seeing behind an eagle badge. Nonetheless, as hinted by 4th Scorpion, this may be a legitimate piece used by a post war Polish formation of some sort. If there’s one thing I’ve increasingly learned while dabbling in this hobby is never to jump to conclusions. The unexpected needs to be expected. The Poles were very resourceful and came up with a myriad of stop gap solutions to the uniform and equipment supply challenges they faced. Again though, this beret remains an item that I would not be in a hurry to jump at without any solid provenance. But I’d gladly take it as a gift!

Cheers,
    T.

Quote by FAB View Post
    Tony, No worries as I really wanted opinions on the beret/badge. Fortunately, the beret was a gift from a friend who collects military headgear in general, so no hard feelings or monetary loss. I am pleased about the badge as its a variation I did not have. I dont know if this makes a difference but the cloth rectangle behind the badge is actually dark green rather than black. Thanks again for everything.
    Best,
    Rick
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fellows
    Just for the records on the Forum

Pictures of the recently sold French Made Free Eagle (Al..)
    Very nice example (well preserved) - must be an excellent addition to any collection
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

Fellows

I would appreciate some advice.

You may have seen this interesting Eagle – recently sold on Allegro (pictures below). It looks like French Variant with a very characteristic fastening.
    A few features of this Eagle looked strangely familiar to me. I compared this Eagle with the one i have in my collection and some very interesting facts have come up
    I have used red circle on the French Variant to illustrate the points

Look at My Eagle - looks like
    1. the top of it comes from French Variant (as on Allegro)
    2. the bottom part – legs are like in Guant Variants!
    3. The wings are close to legs like in French Variant
    4. The Fastening seems to be similar for both
    5. Look at the colour – looks like My Eagle is made of some sort red metal (presumably copper) with silver like finish

I am puzzled dipply here
    - is it some sort of repo
    - is it some sort of genuine and known pattern (hybrid?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Most certainly looks to be a quality die strike .....
    Also, with a spinner ... (Which throws up the old question .... is it a metric or imperial thread, ... which would help to ID country of manufacture in the 40's).

Any ideas on this one Tony ?

Regards

Gary J.

?

I have it as a French one..
    looks similar to the Gaunt ones.
    as they followed ..somewhat, the French pattern..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Hi wadowicznic and dorava,

Gary has zeroed in on the crucial element: the fastening. On first glance I could see the very familiar and distinctive post and nut. Early in this thread (post #8) I posted an eagle sold to me as genuine in years past. It appears to be the same as yours. Unfortunately, I now know this is a post war Bialkiewicz made “fake”.

Since the time of that post about two years ago I may need to revisit my initial hunch that these are re-strikes from surviving British dies. This Bialkiewicz eagle does indeed appear to bear the unique French characteristics, especially in the talon area.

My apologies for the bad news guys.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 27 of 226 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 77 127 ... LastLast