Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 193 of 226 FirstFirst ... 93 143 183 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 203 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 2254

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Wow, great study!

Esco,

I wonder if you would do us a favour and photographed the inside of the hat - to see what kind of fixing the eagle has (i suspect a horizontal "wire"). From my research, I conclude that there had been 2 types of the "Bigger Eagle".

1st - made of brass and oxidised with fixing arranged via vertical "wire" also oxidised - but if cut as salami - wire is rectangular.

2nd type - is much more rare - made also of brass but clearly silverised with silver getting natural patina due to age. Fixing via "wire" too - but if cut, it is of normal shape - circle.

I suspect your eagle is 1st type - but, i am curious
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

?

No problem. Here it is:

Polish Hat Eagles

Cheers
    Tom

Thank You!
    1st type - rectangular "wire"
    Super Eagle!

Quote by Esco View Post
    No problem. Here it is:

Polish Hat Eagles

Cheers
    Tom

?

As there is no such thread (or at least not as lively) on the Second Republic eagles, I permitted myself to litter here a little bit with some pre-war bullion eagles. Below are two interesting specimens I put my hands on recently, both still attached to their original caps.

Polish Second Republic Navy Officer Bullion Eagle

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Second Republic Air Force Officer Bullion Eagle

Polish Hat Eagles

Hope you will forgive me this little off-topic post

Legends!

Quote by Esco View Post
    As there is no such thread (or at least not as lively) on the Second Republic eagles, I permitted myself to litter here a little bit with some pre-war bullion eagles. Below are two interesting specimens I put my hands on recently, both still attached to their original caps.

Polish Second Republic Navy Officer Bullion Eagle

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Second Republic Air Force Officer Bullion Eagle

Polish Hat Eagles

Hope you will forgive me this little off-topic post

Quote by Esco View Post
    Speaking of Polish Armed Forces in France... here's another of my long and boring posts - the M26 helmet eagles. . .
    On the contrary, definitely not boring. An excellent post . I will bookmark this to refer all future "is this real and what is it worth" questions about M26 Adrians to this post. A similar effort re the M15 Adrian with Polish eagles applied is also needed.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Thank you, Tony. It is an honour and a pleasure to hear something like that from such an experienced collector.

Unfortunately I have no experience with M15 eagles at all. Especially Haller's type - I see them surface from time to time, sometimes very strongly priced, but I am unable to identify them good or bad, so just staying away. It would be great to see at least one specimen with a solid provenance here.

It is hard to estimate how many of those helmets with originally applied Haller's eagles survived to present day. They entered into service after the main frontline actions of 1918 so probably we are talking about 50,000 - 60,000 pieces being produced. Starting 1930 all the M15 helmets used by Polish Army undergone procedure of taking off the eagles and front holes being weld. I never seen any photograph of a Polish eagle-badged M15 in service after the 1932. So technically number of survivors close to 0.

Below pictures of original Haller's type M15 helmet eagle's from Polish Army Museum (MWP) - the riflemen's type and the other unit's type. They were made from lacquered galvanized steel.

Polish Hat Eagles

Fellows,
    You may already know / seen this Eagle - but, given a superb quality of pictures - i think it is worth posting.

According to information included in Col Mincer's archives - this Eagle was used in some units of 1st AD - while stationed in Germany, in 45 /46.

My humble research, based on review of various pictures at Sikorski's suggests that it was very rarely used.

Any of you fellows - can add additional info!? - this would be appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows,
    Some research ideas - please.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles