Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 221 of 226 FirstFirst ... 121 171 211 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,210 of 2258

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Quote by Pieter1942 View Post
    Interesting!
    Because I only know the alavoine type with the fragile fixing pin and not with the screwback !
    Both fastening methods were employed. Eagles with the threaded post are scarcer.

Cheers,
    Tony

- - ------- - -

Quote by Pieter1942 View Post
    Interesting!
    Because I only know the alavoine type with the fragile fixing pin and not with the screwback !
    Both fastening methods were employed. Eagles with the threaded post are scarcer.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank you Tony!

Kind regards,
    Pieter.

The eagle has been produced since autumn 1940 in Palestine. The first extremely rare, short series of matrix-beaten eagles in a brass sheet with a clear, accurate drawing. A characteristic feature of them was the texture of the Amazon shield trails, consisting of tiny circles (visible on the penultimate photo - marked with a red arrow). Fastening to a thick threaded post. Silver plated brass sheet (slight silvering abrasions resulting from wearing a badge on the cap). Dimensions: 54x34 mm.
    Later, for economic reasons, the eagles were carelessly minted or cast. An identical copy in the savings version is presented in T. Zawistowski's book "Eagles for hats in the 2nd Polish Corps". A copy purchased in the Latrun camp by Lt. Jan Domański and carried in the BSK Officers' Legion.

Fellows,
    "Palestinian" Eagles - in natural habitat
    Archives of gen Sikorskis' Museum in London.

I would personally, not called this Eagle "extremely rare" - but this all is subjective view. What is interesting, as far as i know there have been 3 "mutations" - same shape but 2 different materials used and 1 - slightly different fixing - dimension of a screw.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles 

Default J R Gaunt Eagle

Dear Fellows,

Recently purchased Gaunt Eagle which is of interest.

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

?

Default Looking for info.

Good evening fellows,

Having gone through the entirety of this thread I am sure you will be able to assist with identifying where (possibly when) my Grandfather's eagle was produced. From the knowledge I have gained, from the thread contributors, I believe it is a middle-east sand-cast version, nut it has an unusual fixing, maybe repaired at some point? My Grandfather Jaroslaw 'Eric' Drozd passed away when I was two years old, so I have never had the opportunity to talk to him about his experiences during his life, and he was also one to never talk about his life during the war to any of his children, so I am looking to other streams of information, to hopefully get an understanding of where he has been. Please see below photos Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles
    I would also be grateful if you could suggest where I may look to get Service records for Polish personnel during the second world war.
    Kind regards,
    Ollie.

Hello Ollie,

Beautiful eagle!

I can help you with the question for more information to Service records for Polish personnel. You can mail to Mrs. Margaret Goddart from the MOD, she can help you further. A financial contribution is requested- I believe 30 pounds, but I do not know if this is also charged when you are next of kin. Anyway it is very recommended to inform you there .

Kind regards, Pieter.

Hello Ollie,

I have searched for Jarosław Drozd in the database of the Institute of National Remembrance (IPN) and I have found one person:

Polish Hat Eagles

Born 1927, father's name: Józef. But I suppose that this is not your Grandfather.

I have also searched in the database of the Central Military Archive (CAW) but without any luck unfortunately.

Regards
    Konrad

PS On the picture you have posted your Grandfather is in the rank of Corporal (kapral).

Hello Ollie,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum and thank you for your post, the Polish Service Records for the Army are held by the British Ministry of Defence.

Click on the link below to see how to go about obtaining your Grandfathers Service Records :

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

p.s. Ollie be sure to ask for copies of all Records that they hold otherwise you will just receive either a 1 or 2 page letter outlining his Personnel details and his service.

Once again welcome to the Forum

Best wishes

Andrzej

Hello Ollie,

I have done some research into your Grandfather Jarosław Drozd and came across the following which you might have already seen

From the photograph of your Grandfather on his Beret he is wearing apart from the Crowned Eagle the 2 Horizontal Bars of a Kapral (Corporal), he is also wearing the slip on rank of a Kapral on his epaulettes.

Polish Hat Eagles

Kapral Jarosław Drozd

Polish Hat Eagles

Jarosław Drozd in a Universal Carrier in Italy

Polish Hat Eagles

Jarosław Drozd maintaining Vehicles of the 2nd Polish Corps in Italy.

Unfortunately Ollie I am using a different Computer to the one which has the Register of Recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross on, but using information from the internet I can state the following :

Surname : Drozd

Christian Name : Jarosław

Date of Birth : 7th September 1923

Army Number : 1923- (to be completed when I find it)

Unit :

After the end of war in Europe your Grandfather came to the UK and after being demobbed from the 2nd Polish Corps and into the Polish Resettlement Corps, he then became a Civilian.

In 1979 he married Wanda Alina A. Kilarski Marriage registered in Kidderminster (Wanda Alina A Kilarski was born 29th January 1933),

They lived at 8 Jackson Crescent, Stourport-on-Severn and it was on the 4th October 1984 that your Grandfather died aged 61, your Grandmother died on the 18th February 2015.

Polish Hat Eagles

Jarosław & Wanda Drozd grave.

I sincerely hope that this fills in something that you might not already know Ollie, but if you do know this information already please accept my apologies.

Best wishes

Andrzej