Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 43 of 226 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 93 143 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

gtw
    ?

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

It's not made from copper alloy.I don't know what metal it is,but it's white.Anyway,even if it is a copy,i'll leave it in my collection as a curiosity.

?

Greetings,

A bullion eagle from a 1st armored beret. Initially I thought that the green was a different bullion thread, but it is some oxidation. I have not attempted to clean it for fear of further damaging the bullion.

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Hi Mike,

Nice beret. Thanks for posting.

That green stuff is verdigris, and it is a nuisance. It likes to grow on metals containing copper and usually gets a foothold when there’s contact with leather. With your eagle it seems to have taken a real liking to its crown. You can also see some building up on the lower portion of the rank insignia where it contacts the beret’s leather band. That rank insignia is probably made from alpacca, which although silver in colour is a high nickel alloy containing copper.

Removal of deposits from bullion thread is a risky affair. I once undertook such a task on a sergeants chevron hat insignia and had good results using a Q-tip to very carefully apply a paste made of baking soda and water. The baking soda neutralizes the acidity of the verdigris and also provides a gentle abrasive to assist in removing the deposits. Working under a magnifying glass it took several painstaking applications followed by a thorough ‘rinse’ (water soaked terry cloth towel) and drying with hair dryer. This approach worked for me, but I would caution anyone that tries a similar approach to research the topic as there may be a better method (although I couldn’t find too much info at the time).

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Quote by 48ppsk View Post
    Greetings,

I don't think that a box has been found. Apparently in the family since 1943 and the same seller sold one on ebay 400193132410 for $477.00. Same description. It was also discussed in previous posts which you will find if you search Garrett.

Mike
    actually the last one sold by this seller was item 400195713006
    and sold for $377, a hundred dollars less....so this is the third one offered by the same seller...who knows how many more he has....

?

Greetings,

Tony,
    thanks for the advice. I am not quite sure how to handle this if this is the extent that has developed in the last 65 years. I am not sure if I will get brave enough to tackle this.

Dorava,

it will be interesting to see... it would be nice to see one of these in person. Doesn't look like he has a refund policy if you do not like it. The risk of dealing online.

Mike

Fellows
    To add to the library of pages featuring the “Small Guant Variation” Polish Eagle.
    This one was listed a few weeks ago on Ebay USA

Very nice one!
    Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Fellows
    Some of you may have seen / followed the recent Desa Auction in Krakow (Auction 109)

Galeria obiektw aukcji 106 DESA w Krakowie

Generally speaking PSZ section was not well represented.

However, there was an interesting PAF Eagle – described as the made in France in 1940

Asking price was 3000PLN – Not sold

I thought it may be good to mention this Eagle on our Forum
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

I would like to post pictures of 2 different bullion eagles and rank insignia.
    Here is the first one:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Here is the second one: And this is not my area of expertise: the green background on these: why ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

gtw
    ?

Hi.I've just received this eagle.Looks good,but again it's soft like a butter. It is the same pattern like eagle from page 18 and 38 and my previous one.They have some common details - signature (blured and looks like double stamped),irregular line on the top of amazon shield,irregular line on the top of wings.My has the same blades like that one frome page 18.I think i'll rather avoid this pattern.Any thoughts?

Polish Hat Eagles  

Page 43 of 226 FirstFirst ... 33 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 53 93 143 ... LastLast