Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 46 of 226 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 146 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    Here is the second one: And this is not my area of expertise: the green background on these: why ?
    Phew! need a telescope for these. Any chance you could post close-ups? Try using the macro facility on your camera. I think you have a beret badge and two rank badges in the top picture and I think a bullion sleeve badge for 2nd Warsaw Armoured Division.

?

I add mine pre-WWII eagle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

This beautifully detailed Eagle was recently for sale on Allegro
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Fellows
    A very interesting link

J. R. Gaunt & Son, Ltd. - Manufacturer - Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Early Guant

included also one form my collection

Polish Hat Eagles  

Fellows
    For the record - recently sold W.Deumer Eagle
    very nice example - congratulations to the new owner!

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Made in Palestine
    this looks like a superb quality

Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles 

?

Hi all,

Why do you think it is an early variant? Honestly, it looks fishy to me. I've had like 50 Polish cap badges by Gaunt and none of them had a hallmark or fastening blades like the one in the photo.
    On ME Polish cap badges. In my knowledge they were made of brass. The one you show below looks like a quality fake to me ;-)

Best regards,

Pit.

Pit
    Welcome on the Forum.
    From my experience – Guant had used many materials, fastenings and signatures for the General Army (land forces) Polish Free Eagles

In terms of chronology of various versions

I think there are plenty of circumstantial evidences that point out to the fact that early eagles had been stamped from thin sheet of hard metal.
    For instance - when you compare the chronology of Guant products for the Polish Free Forces – You will see that around 1943 and onwards squadron badges are emerging with a very specific nuts – the same nut is then taken for brass made eagles (they are much heavier and make a very characteristic brass sound when hit with a coin). Pictures of such eagles are on the forum.

Also I have seen a number of Guant brass eagles with the groupings of 4 Infantry division that was formed only in 44 and 45.

What is that you do not like with the eagle above and which one? – the one from USA national War Museum (donated by Imperial war Museum) or my one?

Please share pictures of your collection of Guants – this would be a great contribution.

?

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Pit
    Welcome on the Forum.
    From my experience – Guant had used many materials, fastenings and signatures for the General Army (land forces) Polish Free Eagles

(...).
    Hi Wadowicz,

I sure will post a few photos upon return home. I’ve been away from home.
    Like I said I have had quite a lot of them to date and I don’t like the fastenings and the hallmark. The one in your photo seems to me to be a post-war production. Maybe it’s just another mystery Bialkiewicz left behind Who knows.

It’s really hard to judge any badge by a photo. It always takes a close at hand inspection to verify authenticity. Often times you see a badge in a photo and it looks good but a close at hand inspection doesn’t support your initial judgement.

I don’t think a museum is a reliable source of reference far as military badges are concerned. People often donate different stuff to museums and nobody really cares to verify authenticity. Same with live autions. There are Polish badges out there made by Panasiuk and/or post-war British made badges which the owners claim to be original pre-war Polish badges.
    I’m of an opinion that the only reliable source of information on the Polish hat badges is Zawistowski’s book. At least for the time being.

By the way, I look for DSP cap badges.

Best regards.

My late father-in-laws ... it feels plastic. Odd.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  

Page 46 of 226 FirstFirst ... 36 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 56 96 146 ... LastLast