Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Those are some amazing badges! I love the design of the Polish insignia!

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    12 Lancers
    Nice, genuine old example from Stanley's first issue
    Can anybody post the second issue / version - bright silver collor?

Any one idea as to how many of them could have been made?
    As per monography of 12 lancers - 1553 badges had been issued
    Any pictures of fakes?
    A
    Here’s mine in the brighter silvered finish. Somewhere I once came across some production figures on these, although can’t quite put my finger on it now. Interestingly, the excellent Zawistowski reference mentions that there are no extant records of the Polish badge order in the Stanley & Sons archives.

Posted below is a picture (taken from the Zawistowski book) of the stamp used to manually impress the “12U”. This stamp was heated and simply pressed into the amazon shield. You can just make out the outer edges of the stamp.

As far as fakes, I’ve yet to see any of the plastic badges being faked. But it’s probably just a matter of time.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Any pictures of fakes?
    Well lo and behold – fresh up for sale. I never quite expected that the first fake I’d see of one of these eagles would be in brass:

ORZE?EK 1 Z KORON? (682994485) - Aukcje internetowe Allegro
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

?

Wadowicznic,
    Your eagle is made in France in 1918 or 1939. Thay used same mold again when polish troop arrived to France. This eagle was rarely seen in use by the soldiers in october and november 1939 in Coëtquidan camp.

About 12th Lancers eagle.
    In total were 136 500 pieces made (first contract 29.I.1944 - last 18.VI.1945). Doesn´t exist first of second pattern. Thay all same but during years thay became darker or smaller because of temperature, moisture etc.
    Eagles with "U 12" on it were made in unit by using special tool. No one can say exact number which was made. I belive that was few thousand of them.

I hope my information will be bit helpful.

Marcin
    Thank You for the response re-eagles. I am impressed by the level of knowledge and appreciate your help. I have been recently trying to get a good book on Polish Eagles with precise photos and statistics – any recommendations?

I expected that the Eagle may have been made in France (shape similar to the patch on Podhalanian Brigade and Hallers Army). I did not realise that the same mould was again when Polish troops arrived to France in 1939 as the on in 1918. You have suggested that the eagle was rarely seen in use by the soldiers in October and November 1939 in Coëtquidan camp.

Do You have any book references I could see more about this eagle / statistics etc? I am really curious as I have been collecting Polish stuff for years and have never come across this particular pattern before – and now start worrying about the gaps in my knowledge.

How much do You think it may be worth?

Quote by Marcin View Post
    Wadowicznic,
    Your eagle is made in France in 1918 or 1939. Thay used same mold again when polish troop arrived to France. This eagle was rarely seen in use by the soldiers in october and november 1939 in Coëtquidan camp.

About 12th Lancers eagle.
    In total were 136 500 pieces made (first contract 29.I.1944 - last 18.VI.1945). Doesn´t exist first of second pattern. Thay all same but during years thay became darker or smaller because of temperature, moisture etc.
    Eagles with "U 12" on it were made in unit by using special tool. No one can say exact number which was made. I belive that was few thousand of them.

I hope my information will be bit helpful.

Default Polish WW2 Exile Cap Eagles - Unknown / Identyfication request

Fellows
    I did purchase this Eagle together with and few Polish Free Forces memorabilia a few years ago.
    I have not managed to identify this particular Eagle since then – it is a big unknown for me!
    I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Size c6.5x4cm

A

?

Thanks for nice words. My all knowladge came from one book by T.Zawistowski and conversations with author. This is "the bible" about eagles. I love this book.
    About price, well I would say as much as somebody will pay. I wouldn´t sell eagle like this. It is nice and hard to find.

I just came back from War and Peace show in Beltring, UK and I found few interesting eagles. Now I have more than 50

Thanks Marcin
    Greatelly appreciated. Please post pictures of some of your Eagles. Any idea as to what my "red one" may be?
    Regards
    Artur

Quote by Marcin View Post
    Thanks for nice words. My all knowladge came from one book by T.Zawistowski and conversations with author. This is "the bible" about eagles. I love this book.
    About price, well I would say as much as somebody will pay. I wouldn´t sell eagle like this. It is nice and hard to find.

I just came back from War and Peace show in Beltring, UK and I found few interesting eagles. Now I have more than 50

?

Here some pic´s of my eagles. I have few but still need some regular ones, like Polish Navy, different PAF etc. I hope you will like it. I put some separet one which I think are really nice and I like them:
    french 1939 made
    swiss made for DSP
    italian made - mint with paper bag
    PAF gaunt made without fabric back
    PAF made probably in Palestine
    12th Uhlans
    made in Germany
    made in Palestine with silver finish on it
    made in Canada

About red one - no idea. To me looks like between war´s or ww I production

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Marcin
    Really incredible collection.
    I am truly impressed – congratulations.
    Nowadays it is very difficult to find some quality examples

My favourite is the DSP one – design is very nice and it is difficult to find.

Thanks for posting

Page 2 of 226 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast