Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 79 of 226 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 179 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Default re: Polish Hat Eagles

Fellows
    If this Eagle is original (difficult to establish on the basis of the pictures posted) - looks like somebody has picked up an incredible bargain!
    Auction just finished at c$125 - ONLY - on ebay

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Fellows
    Continuing with the subject aimed at dating / uncovering provenience of the various Polish Free Eagles - please see attached.
    You may remember we discussed this variant of the "Para Eagle" before - I think the picture below confirms the theory that this Eagle was used as SBS logo / symbol etc.

This very relavant document is being showcased at the Sikorski's institute in the SBS Section.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

If this Eagle is original (difficult to establish on the basis of the pictures posted) - looks like somebody has picked up an incredible bargain!
    Auction just finished at c$125 - ONLY - on ebay
    Hi Artur, yes the auction pictures are weak. And I suspect by design. Unless this is a variant I am unfamiliar with then it is a relatively good copy. One that is making periodic visits on the market of late.

Although many details appear faithful to the known original, one visible flaw is with the catch on the reverse. The badge on the left is from a very complete grouping that belonged to an officer in the 1SBS. Notice the ‘wire’ construction, and how it is joined to the badge – ‘welded on’, as opposed to the catch on the badge in question, which is cut from a piece of sheet metal and mounted to a rectangular pedestal:

Polish Hat Eagles

Also note the location of the pin ‘barrel’. On the original it is of shorter length located further towards the rear of the badge:

Polish Hat Eagles

A hands on inspection of the two badges would likely reveal other differences.

Obligatory disclaimer: I have only my one genuine example and those I have seen in other collections to go by. The badge that sold today has notable differences to those. Of course you are free to draw your own conclusions . . .

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony
    Many thanks for the post - it is very helpful.
    I have seen / handled both types that you comparing and also have seen (recently) the third version that was 100% repo - fixed on a vertical pin.

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi Artur, yes the auction pictures are weak. And I suspect by design. Unless this is a variant I am unfamiliar with then it is a relatively good copy. One that is making periodic visits on the market of late.

Although many details appear faithful to the known original, one visible flaw is with the catch on the reverse. The badge on the left is from a very complete grouping that belonged to an officer in the 1SBS. Notice the ‘wire’ construction, and how it is joined to the badge – ‘welded on’, as opposed to the catch on the badge in question, which is cut from a piece of sheet metal and mounted to a rectangular pedestal:

Polish Hat Eagles

Also note the location of the pin ‘barrel’. On the original it is of shorter length located further towards the rear of the badge:

Polish Hat Eagles

A hands on inspection of the two badges would likely reveal other differences.

Obligatory disclaimer: I have only my one genuine example and those I have seen in other collections to go by. The badge that sold today has notable differences to those. Of course you are free to draw your own conclusions . . .

Regards,
    Tony

Fellows
    For completeness
    The same auction featured the 2 Eagles made in France - again poor pictures - but I would say - good ones and relatively rarely seen - Especially the small "Furazerkowy" one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 

To continue to cheat a bit as this is not a hat badge, I dug these auction pics out of my archive of a genuine example:

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles  Polish Hat Eagles 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fellows
    Continuing with the subject aimed at dating / uncovering provenience of the various Polish Free Eagles - please see attached.
    You may remember we discussed this variant of the "Para Eagle" before - I think the picture below confirms the theory that this Eagle was used as SBS logo / symbol etc.

This very relavant document is being showcased at the Sikorski's institute in the SBS Section.
    Polish Hat Eagles

Does the fact that this invitation relates to "Presentation of the flag by the President of the Republic of Poland" confirm my little theory that this particular diving eagle badge is a stylised interpretation of the diving eagle designs found on the SBS colour and why this design is used on the invite card and not the SBS wing.

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Hat Eagles

Polish Hat Eagles

Does anyone have a macro shot of the eagles on the SBS colour?

The date of 15 July on the invitation card to the presentation of the SBS colour standard to delegates of the AK in Great Britain is interesting as it is just 12 days before the Polish government in exile formally requested permission on 27 July for the potential deployment of Polish paras in support of an anticipated AK rising in Warsaw.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Fellows
    Courtesy of my good friend - super pictures of the Polish Navy Eagle - one of the 2 known metal variants.
    The manufacturer is unknown - however, this variant is much more difficult to find that J.R Gount & Son made one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

What kind of eagle

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Quote by Napoleon North View Post
    What kind of eagle

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles
    Hi,
    Thank You for posting the Eagle.
    Looking at some posts on this Forum - You may have noticed that a number of "Field Made" - Polish Eagles are featured.

There are number of Patterns of such Field Made Eagles - and, unfortunatelly, only a few of them can be definitively identified (place of manufacturing etc).
    In terms of technology, they typically had been casted and "sand casted made of brass" are amongst more popular - they, often, had been made in Middle East between 1939 and 46.

What make the assessment even more challenging, is the fact that in many cases Field Made Eagles had been polished / cleaned by the owners - that often makes details difficult to examine.

Generally speaking, due to relatively simple technology and crude finish, it is even difficult to identify if any particular Eagle is from the WW2 period - in recent past a number of "re-casts" have surfaced.

Practically speaking, unless you have additional memorabilia associated with a particular person - it will not be possible to identify further the Eagle and / or even authenticate it for 100% as a period one.

I have it Warszawski Antykwarjat Numizmatyczny . Allegro auction .
    On the back of an eagle survived prawdopodpobnie two letters, A "(I think) and 'R'.
    In the picture it is not visible.Or I think so. I do not know.

Best wishes
    Daniel

Page 79 of 226 FirstFirst ... 29 69 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 89 129 179 ... LastLast