Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 84 of 226 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 94 134 184 ... LastLast

Polish Hat Eagles

Article about: In my opinion this particular cap eagle was made by G.J. Garratt Toronto. Very unique, hard to find.

Artur, it's a rarity for sure. Although Zawistowski attributes this to a possible London origin with production dating from before May 1942, if memory serves I believe I have seen this pattern in a photo of a soldier in the 2nd Corps. I will keep an eye out for that picture. Regardless, here's a better image of one of these which I may have posted earlier in this thread.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Fellows,

If we work together, perhaps we can be lucky again and manage to identify / categorise this Mid-Eastern casted - Eagle by finding an identical / materially similar one.

As for a cast, the quality of details / finish is very high.

I have selected some distinctive features – helpful marks for identification.
    Eagle’s post is made of copper or brass.

It also has an interesting spinner with 2 Hebrew letters. It fits well onto the post.

However, I am very sceptical if that spinner actually originates from the manufacturer. I am suspecting – it could well be a replacement and / or manufacturer used “what was on hand”

To provide identification, it would be super to find the second specimen with the same features / marks and spinner.

Perhaps that spinner can be recognised by some of you – ect.

Let’s see what we can find.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Default small ME sand cast orzelek

Ditto: small, sand cast ME manufacture orzelek, broken screw rod. The owner of the badge has drilled four small holes in order to pin the badge to the cap.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Hat Eagles   Polish Hat Eagles  

Polish Hat Eagles  

Default White metal eagle cap badge, wire fittings

White metal orzelek, good quality, wire fittings: any hints about era and place of production?

Hi Loupie1961,

In answer to your question about the Army Eagle shown above it is the current issue for the Polish Army, therefore it would date from 1993-2013. Unfortunately I have no idea about its place of production, perhaps one of the other forum members would be able to answer your question.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hi
    I have seen a similar / or even identical (?) eagle - sold recently - pictures attached.
    I hope You are the lucky buyer.
    However, if You not the buyer of it and the Eagle comes from different source - that makes it even more interesting - it would suggest that we have 2 specimens and therefore we can "catalogue / categorise' this particular variant.

In any event, interesting Eagle - i think - again - without the "small shield"

Polish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

Quote by Loupie1961 View Post
    Ditto: small, sand cast ME manufacture orzelek, broken screw rod. The owner of the badge has drilled four small holes in order to pin the badge to the cap.

Fellows
    Finally - I had some time to select a portfolio of the pictures from the Collection of Pictures of Sikorski's Museum in London - that feature various Eagles in application.
    I am sure it is just a small sample of pictures - sourced from "Karta www"
    Some very interesting facts are to be learned from those pictures - I think.

APolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat EaglesPolish Hat Eagles

This s a recent addition of mine. It appears to be lead with silver coating. Bends easily. I am curious if it is genuine. I paid $5.00 on a chance it is real.

Hi
    Many thanks for posting the Eagle.
    You may have had a chance to look up some of the posts on that site re Polish Casted Eagles.
    Basically speaking, in terms of Casted / Hand Made Eagles - usually, it is very difficult - impossible to identify / categorise >>>> 100% authenticate and link a specimen in consideration - to; specific period / unit / manufacturer etc.
    However, as you can see from the posts, we have been successful in "categorising" some of the variants of Casted Eagles - assuming crudely that 2 very similar / identical specimens = "new variant", that can be added to the "library" of known ones.

Obviously, I realise that this simple methodology has many imperfections and is very far away from best practices used by archivists / historians etc - but,for the time being it seems to be OK.
    Personally - I like "categorising" a lot - as on number of occasions - I have learned new info / details trying to match various casts - therefore I like your post!

Regarding your Eagle - I have never seen another example - so "no positive categorisation".

However, what makes it interesting is that the overall shape of the Eagle -seems to be similar to the one presented on page 75 - but not 100% the same.
    I presume that the size of the Eagle is 40mm?
    What is your feel for the material? - is it lead casted?
    On negative side - what makes it a bit odd - is that it has not got any fastening arrangements - even holes to attach it to a cap.

Quote by milmuseum View Post

This s a recent addition of mine. It appears to be lead with silver coating. Bends easily. I am curious if it is genuine. I paid $5.00 on a chance it is real.

Thank you for your opinion on this. The eagle is 40mm across the wings and around 68mm tall. Seems to be made of lead because it is really soft and easy to bend. I was curious as to the meaning of the shield in the center of the lower half.

Thanks
    Burt

Page 84 of 226 FirstFirst ... 34 74 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 94 134 184 ... LastLast