Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform

Article about: I'd like opinions on this uniform. Please explain if you have an issue and offer examples for comparison. Thanks

ccj
    ?

Default Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform

I'd like opinions on this uniform.

Please explain if you have an issue and offer examples for comparison.

Thanks

ccj
    ?

Default Re: Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform

Tunic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform   Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  

ccj
    ?

Collar
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  

ccj
    ?

More
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform   Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  

uboot96
    ?

hi ccj. I am not sure what you want to know, but this is post war polish police uniform. I hope this helps.

Hi ccj,

The tunic appears to be a typical wartime British SD issue. All elements appear correct save the collar tabs which look rather fresh in these pictures. The stitching across the front is rather crude for an officer’s SD. And the absence of shoulder titles is odd. Is there any evidence of the tunic once having these titles?

As far as the collar tabs I’d much prefer to see ones such as those pictured below. Although there were variations, the majority were constructed like this which consisted of wool or velveteen stretched over a stiff backing cut into the hexagonal shape. The secondary colour (denoting branch of the military) would be fastened to the back and trimmed to correct thickness, or would consist of a piece of piping of the appropriate colour sewn across the top.

The evidence suggests that this may be a stripped tunic that has been partially restored. The fact it is named is especially nice as it allows for the possibility of research.

Regards,
    Tony

PS The mounted tabs pictured below are from the tunic belonging to Lt. Józef Żmigrodzki of the VI Special Bureau of the General Staff, which was purchased from his daughter. Also pictured are some other loose tabs in navy blue/yellow (infantry) showing construction details.

Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform   Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  

Attached Images Attached Images Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform  Polish Infantry Lieutenant uniform 

?

The maker checks out ok .... and it's comes from an area I would expect the uniform to be manufactured.
    The rank stars are of a type I have seen before.

Gary J.

ccj
    ?

I don't know if polish tabs were everon this but I'm trying to find out.
    Is this worth having and would it be of any value to replace the collar tabs with real if I could find a pair?

ccj
    ?

Tony,

Why do some tabs have eagles?
    Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    Hi ccj,

The tunic appears to be a typical wartime British SD issue. All elements appear correct save the collar tabs which look rather fresh in these pictures. The stitching across the front is rather crude for an officer’s SD. And the absence of shoulder titles is odd. Is there any evidence of the tunic once having these titles?

As far as the collar tabs I’d much prefer to see ones such as those pictured below. Although there were variations, the majority were constructed like this which consisted of wool or velveteen stretched over a stiff backing cut into the hexagonal shape. The secondary colour (denoting branch of the military) would be fastened to the back and trimmed to correct thickness, or would consist of a piece of piping of the appropriate colour sewn across the top.

The evidence suggests that this may be a stripped tunic that has been partially restored. The fact it is named is especially nice as it allows for the possibility of research.

Regards,
    Tony

PS The mounted tabs pictured below are from the tunic belonging to Lt. Józef Żmigrodzki of the VI Special Bureau of the General Staff, which was purchased from his daughter. Also pictured are some other loose tabs in navy blue/yellow (infantry) showing construction details.

Quote by ccj View Post
    I don't know if polish tabs were everon this but I'm trying to find out.
    There may very well be a “shadow” left behind if the titles were in place for several decades. I’ve found that these shadows are most visible under natural light. Also, look very closely for any strands of thread – especially on the inside. And check the lining for any stitch marks as well.

Quote by ccj View Post
    Is this worth having and would it be of any value to replace the collar tabs with real if I could find a pair?
    I would say yes if the price is right. Genuine wartime tunics attributed to Polish officers are not at all common, and less so any 100% unaltered examples. I would try to research the named individual, which should prove to be an interesting, enjoyable and maybe even rewarding pursuit.

Genuine shoulder titles are commonly available on the market, although so are copies, so be careful. Collar tabs are much less common, but with some patience you should be able to secure a good pair. Fortunately, the navy blue / yellow seem to be one of the more commonly encountered types. And there’s a good bet that one or more members here have the genuine parts you need!

Lastly, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a partially restored uniform – as long as it’s not passed off as being a perfectly original piece. In my view, carefully restoring such items is doing a valuable service to preserving WW2 Polish military history.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast