Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Polish M26 Adrian helmet for opinion

Article about: Why so much evidence of corrosion under the eagle in almost a perfect outline of the badge and not much significant signs of corrosion on the reverse of the badge or elsewhere on the helmet.

Why so much evidence of corrosion under the eagle in almost a perfect outline of the badge and not much significant signs of corrosion on the reverse of the badge or elsewhere on the helmet...outside or inside, only under the badge?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

I'm no expert on helmets but something doesn't seem to add up: corrosion under the eagle on the helmet but the liner and chin strap look very good - very little wear.

Even the 'binding strings' on the liner look white and not stained (though that may be the effect of any flash).

I'm suspicious about it authenticity.

Thank you for your opinions.
    The pics were taken with flash, and the stuff under the eagle is NOT corrosion/rust, just good old dirt/dust. It has a bit of a brownish tint which made me think its rust, but after closer inspection, you can see the dirt particles.
    As far as the "shiny target" comment, Polish soldiers also had lots of shiny buttons on their uniforms, shiny silver objects, even on combat uniforms.
    As for the eagle, it is in nice original worn condition.
    I have found many pics of Polish soldiers in France, here on the forum, that show the eagles werent painted, and were just nice shiny targets.
    As I said earlier, thanks for the opinions, but luckily I know where the helmet came from, who brought it over the ocean and when.
    Best Regards
    Janek

Why so much dust on the inside of the Eagle but no "dust" anywhere else ? What kind of "dust" is it ? looks sticky, like maybe glue residue for the Eagle to adhere better ?

Quote by Itakdalej View Post
    Why so much dust on the inside of the Eagle but no "dust" anywhere else ? What kind of "dust" is it ? looks sticky, like maybe glue residue for the Eagle to adhere better ?
    My thoughts exactly. Something to hold the eagle to prevent rotation around the single fastening post - ?? Dastier and 4th Scorpion also bring up valid observations. All good healthy observations / questions that need to be raised to rule out a fake. The M26 helmets and also the British Mk II are easily 'Polonized' (the former often using pre-war metal eagles) and constantly floated on the marketplace. Needless to say an extermely risky area to be collecting in.

As for me I am especially wary of the pre-war eagles finding their way onto M26's and prefer seeing French made metal eagles for obvious reasons, such as pictured here in this photo taken on May 3rd, 1940, exactly one week before the German invasion and the 37-day Battle of France:

Polish  M26 Adrian helmet  for opinion

I also prefer seeing painted eagles (photo credit:"Polish Army Helmets 1917-2000" by Jacek Kijak).

See posts 19, 34, and 62 here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...-eagles-12342/

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2