Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Polish Navy in Exile

Article about: This was up for sale on ebay in 2004, claimed to be the ensign for the ORP Garland. The seller is a known authority on Polish militaria, so there's a good probability that this is a genuine

Default Re: Polish Navy in Exile

This was up for sale on ebay in 2004, claimed to be the ensign for the ORP Garland. The seller is a known authority on Polish militaria, so there's a good probability that this is a genuine piece.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Navy in Exile  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

One of my very few Polish Exile Navy items:

T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Navy in Exile   Polish Navy in Exile  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hi Tony. This Bandera looks good, although it is hard to tell without inspecting it in person. While it may be associated with ORP Garland (i.e. a replacement or spare Bandera for the Polish G-class destroyer) it is definitely not the last Bandera that flew on ORP Garland towards the end of the war and later removed when ORP Garland was reclaimed by the Brits in July 1946. That last official Bandera was removed by Cpt. Poray-Wojciechowski and stored by him until he donated it to the Sikorski Museum sometime in the 1970s -1980s I believe. I have several photos of that original Bandera which I will post when I get a chance to scan them.

Thanks Tony, all I can say is WOW ... And that makes 2 big WOW's today after I noticed this:

http://www.muzeummw.home.pl/media/ga...14232ae46a.jpg

I think there was some process in the Polish Navy were the ships captain could retain a bandera. For example Kommandor Plawski donated his bandera from ORP Piorun to the Polish Navy museum but he left the ship in 1942.
    There is actually a lot of questions I have on the Polish Navy, hopefully one day I will be able to go to the Sikorski Int and answer them

?

Hi Cichociemny, its a beautiful cross. I personally know Gorazdowski's relatives who live here in Canada. They shared many fantastic stories from his service. Gorazdowski worked with the Canadian Coast Guard in PEI until his death in 1968. I have copies of his diary manuscript which are a fantastic read. His children carried out Gorazdowski's wish to have his personal effects returned to Poland, this included his awards, Bandera and personal documents. Cpt. P-Wojciechowski whom I mentioned in my previous post was Gorazdowski's close friend. Both of them left Poland on ORP Blyskawica in 1939 when the war broke out. In one episode, Wojciechowski and Gorazdowski (together with 2 other officers) officially complained against Blyskawica's Commander, Jerzy Umiecki, calling him a coward and blaming him from mismanaging the ship. They feared that they would be decommissioned, but the military court ruled in their favour, which, as Wojciechowski recalled, resulted in a night of heavy drinking and a return to service with a bad hangover the next day.

Quote by cichociemny View Post
    That one is a 1990's reprint, I have a original but I keep that one as a display one. Do you know his name?
    Yes, Wladyslaw Kosianowski-Lorenz.

He served in the Free French Navy from (I think) 1941 through to 1943. He was stationed in Beirut and commanded the motor yacht "Notre Dame D'Etel".

Also explains why I have some lovely wartime postcards of Beirut as well. I just wish I knew which box this stuff was in LOL...

This Polish Navy helmet is on ebay with strong interest

Polish Navy in Exile

Polish Navy in Exile

Seems like someone on board ship had far too much time on their hands to have painted this eagle... any thoughts?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Nick, 22Coy, Reynard, Tony - WOW! These are amazing tales and insight into the lives and exploits of Polish sailors. Thanks for sharing them.

I wish I could share as well but my father was very circumspect about his time during the war. I know a few things but not much.

Hi 4thskorpion

I saved that helmet onto my watch list ;-) looking at original photos I noticed most Polish Navy helmets were not painted. Sometimes you will come across a photo of a sailor who painted a eagle. This one looks really nice but I am not a helmet expert myself, anyone have experience with Polish eagles on Brit helmets? The same seller listed a rare Polish Navy badge issued in 1947 to sailors and a some other Navy related items I really wanna get my hands on, plus he has very good feedback.

?

Its a nice little helmet - perhaps a souvenir? I have seen Polish sailors with eagle adorned MKII helmets, although not like this. One photo that comes to mind is in Zawistowski's book on eagles (see below). Although that one is not a typical Polish Navy eagle, far from it. Other photos I have seen were of Polish soldiers in eagle-adorned French adrian helmets. These were mostly used during the Norwegian campaign in 1940.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Navy in Exile 

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast