Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish Officer Dagger

Article about: I think this is an Officers dagger. It's from my fathers collection, he recently passed away and I'm in the process of discovering what he had. He was a young boy in Nazi occupied Holland so

Default Polish Officer Dagger

I think this is an Officers dagger. It's from my fathers collection, he recently passed away and I'm in the process of discovering what he had. He was a young boy in Nazi occupied Holland so he always interested in anything WWII.

Nosing around the internet I found this site and it seemed to be a good resource of knives and daggers. I have more.

Can anyone offer their input on what they think if this specimen? Is there any site that offers good descriptive bios on these types of pieces?

Any idea what it might fetch at auction?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Officer Dagger   Polish Officer Dagger  

Polish Officer Dagger   Polish Officer Dagger  

Default Re: Polish Officer Dagger

Hello kvanderstel,

That's a very nice genuine wz.24 dagger made by Gabriel Borowski of Warsaw. It is in exceptional condition for an earlier pattern dagger, which I would date to the first half of the 1930's. One such as this will easily fetch $1500, and very likely more. A very desirable dagger.

Thanks for sharing this fine specimen with us.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

What does the "wz.24" designation mean?

I cannot give you the Polish, but it is the year of adoption or "Model of 1924".

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, Ade is correct.

The “wz.” is a contraction for the word “wzór” = pattern, model, type, design.

The subsequent dagger model was the wz.24/37 which is essentially the same dagger but with white metal fittings with an oxidized or antiqued finish as required to meet the revised military uniform regulations adopted in the second half of the 1930’s.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne