Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish para badge, help needed

Article about: A simple "no" would have sufficed.

?

Default Polish para badge, help needed

Hello
    I've read some threads in this forum about Kirkwood badges, but it's difficult to me to identify this one
    it seems to be genuine IMO ?
    what's your opinion ?
    is it possible to know the name of the owner ?
    thanks for answers
    cordially
    Didier

Hello,

This is genuine Polish Parachute Badge, unfortunately according to the number and the recipients' list this one was not awarded.

Regards,
    Jacek

Hi Didier, agreed with Jacek, badge itself looks good. I'm am not so certain about the spinner though. It appears to be a modern reproduction.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

I concur with the above ...
    The spinner may have been polished at some time, or the light from the scan/photo has developed an unexpected tone/colour ... or as Tony mentioned it MIGHT be a modern copy. (As ever handling the item "in the flesh" is always best.)

Gary J.

To elaborate further on my feelings about the spinner, here is a genuine die stamped brass spinner type most commonly seen with the parachute badge stacked up against the one accompanying Didier’s badge:

The modern copies that I have seen - and own as well as with this fake 16th Ind. Armoured Brig. Badge - are cast of a soft alloy and have a raised “collar” to strengthen the area where the spinner threads onto the badge’s post. The copies are also about 1/16 inch smaller diameter.

Note the dot to the right of the "D" in Kirkwood, but missing to the left of the "K". Also note the weak definition in the letter "E" of Edinburgh.

For all I know, Kirkwood may have also produced another version with raised collar, smaller diameter and other problematic characteristics, and the spinner for the fake 16th Arm'd badge is a cast copy of the one with Didier's badge. But this is first time I am seeing this type accompanying a genuine parachute badge, and for that matter other Kirkwood genuine period badges made for the Poles.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

?

Hello Gentlemen
    thanks a lot for explanations
    cordially
    Didier

Default spanner in the works

ref. recalcitrant spinner, this bird has good pedigree. the spinner is die stamped hard alloy and appears to have some form of plating.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish para badge, help needed  

?

Badge looks cast ....
    Why is the number covered ?

I realise it can be a tad challenging recognising original pieces from photographic images but let me assure you, dear readers the bird is an original example, die struck from a non-ferrous alloy, silver plated and heavily oxidised. Regarding the number of the badge, to quote " the Announcer ", Ladies and gentlemen, the story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. With thanks to NBC and Warner Brothers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish para badge, help needed   Polish para badge, help needed  

Polish para badge, help needed   Polish para badge, help needed  

Is it possible to have a picture of the back of the spinner?

Regards,
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast