Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Polish para wing

Article about: I seen a relic dug up wing with no spinner or award document go for 950 Pounds!

?

Default Polish para wing

Hello

I got this some time ago and wonder if it is possible to find out the original receiver from the number on the reverse, does these list still exist? I know that these also was given to Norwegians, and I have all the reasons to belive that this has belonged to a man from Norway.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish para wing   Polish para wing  

3mk
    ?

Default Re: Polish para wing

Hey there,
    Im sure someone on our forum will be able to help to find out who recived it, But considering the rarity of these wings its important that we find out if its original or not! I am sure Gary can help us on this one.

First I heard this wing was awards to Norwegians.

P.s Welcome to the forum!

Regards
    Emil

?

Thank you for the welcome:-) It would have been great if someone could help me out finding the name, then it goes from "just a badge" to beeing "a piece of history" in my book:-)

I have I friend that had both the wing, and the issue card that was given to his unckle ( he was serving with the Norwegian excile army in Scotland) He most unfortunately sold these items some years ago, but I know that he still have contact with the buyer. I will ask him to provide a photo, and I will show it here on the forum.

Hi Hilton, welcome to the forum!

I have directed Gary to your thread as I know he will be able to help.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thank you Mr Stevenson:-)

I have been informed that there is a book in norwegian that is named "3 år som fallskjermhopper" (3 years as a paratropper) published in 1945 that covers the training etc that the norwegian paras did together with the Polish etc, I have ordered the book (5 minutes ago :-) In this book there is several photos of the wing in use by norwegians etc. A friend of mine sendt me this (sorry for the bad quality) scan that are from this book of a norwegian wearing the Polish wing on one side, and what seems to be a stick-pin of a SAS wing on his other. There are better photoes in the book, but the reason that he had this scan is that he knew this man. The quest continues:-)

?

Scan of photo taken in Scotland during the war.
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish para wing 

?

Just got the images of the card that was sold.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish para wing   Polish para wing  

Polish para wing  

?

Nice GR-Tech wing

The wing is to a Norwegian, but not the one named on the Legit Cert.

Wing 1744 was issued to Private. William Skjorten.

Also, I can confirm that wing number 2169 was issued to Tobjorb Olsen.

Regards

Gary J.

GFC
    ?

Beautiful wing Hilton !

What is the book the photo of the Norwegian para came from ?

GFC

?

WoW:-)
    First of all thank you very much for your help solving this mystery Gary J, superb!

The card, and the matching badge of Torbjørn Olsen (they misspelled his name on the card:-) was sold by a friend of mine ( and it had belonged to his uncle, I have NEVER understood people selling of family items...) before I got to hear about that he was going to sell/trade it of:-( The new owner got the lot for aprox 150 Euros (I would think that that was rather cheap) He mailed me just the images of the issue-card, but he will mail me picture of the badge as well when he finds the image on his computer, or eventualy get an image of it from the new owner.

Concerning my badge I will most certanly contact the person I got it from as there also was uniforms etc in his posession as well belonging to the now named norwegian soldier (WS) I have contacted an other source and he had photoes of WS that he could mail me (I will post them here as soon as I get it.

The book that the photo came from is named " 3 År som fallskjermhopper" (translates into "3 Years as a paratrooper") written by the author Kåre Rodahl. It was published in 1945, only months after the war ended, and it has to my knowledge not been re-published. Therefore the only possibility is to buy it from a second-hand book store etc. I did a search seconds after I got the tip on the existence of the book and found immediately one for sale at a norwegian web-auction to a very reasonable price. I will post the photos from the book here on the forum when I receive it. Once again thank you gentlemen for this most valuable help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast