Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish Paratroopers BD

Article about: Hello, I have always wanted to add an original Polish Paratroopers BD to my collection. However, my knowledge and feel for this area is limited. I have been offered a BD that is very similar

Default Re: Polish Paratroopers BD

Tony and Gary
    Thank you for your comments, I appreciate your efforts and advice.

Here is a "better" closeup of the kites, although still poor as my camera was acting up...sorry

Tony that is a good observation about the lack of a typical open Polish-style collar especially for an officers tunic, this fact may lean towards what Gary mentioned - this tunic may have been "upgraded" for the sellers market in hopes of squeezing a few extra bucks put of the BD.
    That's enough of a red flag to keep me away - especially for such a high coin.
    The seller mentioned it was a direct vet acquisition - this had my hopes high and really excited about a potential out of the woodwork purchase. It looked good to me at first sight, but after taking photos, posting here and researching some more, I think it falls under the radar.

sorry my computer is giving me trouble with uploading, i will try later

?

One thing to note, is that there is a hole above the medal ribbons where a parachute badge might have been originally fitted. (Sometimes these holes are stitched round to add support to the BD material).

Regards again ..

Gary J.

?

and though those rank stars are period..
    they were mostly used on furazerkas ....havent seen any para or 1st armrd div DT or BD with those type as rank stars..

but all this is easily solved asking seller the name of the vet he purchased it from...
    all will be solved with that..

Gary, This BD appears to have the hole stiched for extra support for the para badge.

Dorava, I agree, but there is no such information from the seller, says thats how it was acquired and leaves it at that...

Quote by dorava View Post
    and though those rank stars are period..
    they were mostly used on furazerkas ....havent seen any para or 1st armrd div DT or BD with those type as rank stars...
    Agreed, not as common as the more sculpted taller type with the twin fastening blades. But definitely used on uniform tunics. Here’s a 1000% original untouched 1st Armoured SD that belonged to Wladyslaw Stankiewicz. These stars were also standard equipment on the Locke & Co. rogatywkas.

Regards.
    T.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Paratroopers BD  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Quote by Gary J View Post
    The 2nd BD ....
    photo's are really needed at the price it is being sold at.
    .. Also, the only Kpt. in the Brigade who was awarded the VM was with the Medical company, and so the collars SHOULD NOT be of the kite style, but rhomboid (coffin shaped), and coloured coded to the medics and not the airborne infantry.

Gary J.
    I was under the impression that "coffin style " ( pentagonal ) not rhomboid devices, were only worn on the Service Dress. even the General wore kites or deltoids ( a quadrilateral with two disjointed pairs of congruent adjacent sides )

?

Thanks for that, ... I must admit that I'd never noticed this till you mentioned it
    .......... I also hated maths at school

This puts a slightly different angle on the BD .... but there is the question of the KPT's "VM"..

It is starting to look as if the medal ribbon set is at least one item that has been added.

Gary J.

Stasiak cites two Captains awarded the VM before the end of the war in Great Britain and three post war in Poland. unfortunately my Polish language skills leave a lot to be desired so detailed info. sparse

?

"But definitely used on uniform tunics"

...but rarely used on uniform tunics..
    :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast