MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polish RAF Tunic...

Article about: Hi Dzyner, It’s just about impossible authenticating uniform tunics based on pictures alone. Nonetheless, the tunic itself has correct WW2 era cut and fabric. I can’t quite make out the date

?

Default Polish RAF Tunic...

Hi all,

Right off the bat I'll admit I know nothing about Polish uniforms... I'm not even certain I've posted this under the correct category

I'm looking for some opinions on this tunic. From my research the RAF breast patch should be on the left breast, not the right. Is that correct?

Sorry for only having the three photos. Its a bit hard for me to get photos from the current owner, I think he's older and has trouble with the whole email thing

Thanks!
    Dzyner

Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...

GFC
    ?

Default Re: Polish RAF Tunic...

It is correct with the RAF wing on the right side -

?

Thanks for the feedback GFC. Based on the photos, do you think this is an original? The ribbon bars look so sloppy to me.

Also, what would you pay for this tunic? I've never bought a Polish tunic before so I have no clue about its value and don't want to overpay.

Hi Dzyner,
    Attached are photos of Kazimierz Wünsche and Sgt. Stanislaw Karubin both of No. 303 Polish Squadron. RAF wing on right of Wünsche's tunic as it should be. Also not the depth of the medal ribbon bar it is much narrower on Karubin's tunic and compare to the tunic photos you have posted. Last photo of Englishman Athol Forbes also of No. 303 Squadron with his RAF wing. Something doesn't quite gel with that tunic IMO???
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish RAF Tunic...  Polish RAF Tunic...  Polish RAF Tunic... 
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Thanks 4thskorpion.

Here are a few more photos for good measure, although it's seeming more and more like this may be a put together, based on the placement of the RAF patch...

Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...Polish RAF Tunic...

[QUOTE=4thskorpion;259620]Hi Dzyner,
    RAF wing on right of Wünsche's tunic as it should be. QUOTE]
    this is on the left side of the tunic, right side facing the tunic. Seems no fixed rules, a few Polish airmen I see having worn on the right side as well, but most on the airmans left breast side.
    cheers
    Stan

?

Thanks Stan. In your opinion, is this tunic a good one? I see in a lot of photos, the "Polish" crescent patch on the wearer's left hand shoulder, but this one doesn't have that patch. Is this a concern?

Also, I'm trying to gage value on this thing so I know how much I should be paying. Any thoughts?

[QUOTE=Stanislaw;259944]
    Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Hi Dzyner,
    RAF wing on right of Wünsche's tunic as it should be. QUOTE]
    this is on the left side of the tunic, right side facing the tunic. Seems no fixed rules, a few Polish airmen I see having worn on the right side as well, but most on the airmans left breast side.
    cheers
    Stan
    You are right of course Stan the wing should be worn on the left breast pocket (but on the right facing the viewer ) it is to be aligned to centerline of the the left pocket.

There was an original Polish WO jacket for sale at this auction house estimate £150-£200 ... sounds like a good deal. Came with original officers peaked cap and trousers.

There is also a Polish Air Force officers dress dagger estimate £100-150... also seems a good deal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish RAF Tunic...  
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    There was an original Polish WO jacket for sale at this auction house estimate £150-£200 ... sounds like a good deal. Came with original officers peaked cap and trousers.
    The link doesn’t work for some reason, but that would indeed be a sharp price. Any chance you can post some pics for us Stefan?

Also, the dagger pictured is a post war communist era pattern. I don’t recall ever seeing a dagger worn by a member of the PSZ air force.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Tony, any thoughts about the tunic I posted? Sounds like you're pretty knowledgable about there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast