Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 67 of 148 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Default Re: Polish Regimetal Badges WW2

Fellows
    As we talking about 1SBS and for the record on our Forum i am adding the quality pictures

- The badge of the 1 Rifle Brigade - K&S made - bigger variant.
    However, if i remember correctly - badges had actually been assembled in the Brigade's Workshop.

I do not have this badge - but from the literature / looking at collections of others - this one listed looks OK to me
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    . . . but from the literature / looking at collections of others - this one listed looks OK to me
    Yes, that one looks OK. It is the type with a 'hollow back' eagle with the stamped relief, which I recall reading somewhere was a later version. Pictured below is mine which has the smooth backed eagle. I'd like to verify if this is actually an earlier production variant.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Thank You Tony
    Info that there had been 2 versions of Bigger Badge is an important addition to our collective knowledge.
    I find this badge a very sentimental one - as it is the one of the first made for the Free Forces.
    Unfortunately, despite "relatively high numbers" (i reckon 5700+) it is difficult to find - and i have seen a few copies too over years.

Best regards

Hello!

Don't forget about Rubin version!

Best Regards

Quote by MichalMag View Post
    Hello!

Don't forget about Rubin version!
    The best of them IMO. Superbly crisp detail... thanks for posting
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Re: Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Hello all,

I don’t think the Polish 2nd Corps “syrenka” (mermaid) badge has yet been mentioned here. Manufactured in Rome by Societa Italiana per l’Arte della Medaglia, this commemorative badge was issued to all members of the Polish 2nd Corps and also non-members, such as the case here.

This example was issued to Lieutenant General Sir John Harding, who in 1944 was the Chief of the General Staff, HQ Allied Armies in Italy. The grouping includes a personal letter from 2nd Corps CO General Anders along with the matching award document. Both are signed by Anders. Needless to say, it was a thrill to recently add this set to my collection.

I have since framed up this grouping, a picture of which will be posted in the 'Display' thread.

Regards,
    Tony

Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Polish Regimental Badges WW2   Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Polish Regimental Badges WW2  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Regimental Badges WW2  Polish Regimental Badges WW2 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Tony
    This is a remarkable set – I have to say.
    Sadly – i did not win the auction – but i am glad You got it.

Re 2 Cor badge – there is a lot to talk about.
    Have You actually seen the version with H .K signatures (if i remember letters correctly)?

I hope you will enjoy postcard of the badge, as a “bonus” in polish short letter to Andrew.
    " Marian Kopydlowski w ochronie, With difficulty got out from (przeszkodzie Miranda ). Escape from Switzerland in August 1941"

Beautiful set Tony.

Hi Mariusz,

That’s a very interesting postcard – especially the sender’s brief account. I like the opening sentence: “No doubt you are astonished to receive this card from me”. It’s unfortunate that more of the escape story is revealed. But only so much can be squeezed onto one of these cards.

Quote by wadowicznic View Post
    Re 2 Cor badge – there is a lot to talk about.
    Have You actually seen the version with H .K signatures (if i remember letters correctly)?
    Thanks Wad. I was curious who some of my competition was!

The marked variant you mention has only the letter “H”. It supposedly stands for the surname of the designers, Zygmunt and Leopold Haar.

I don’t know why the H was applied to only some badges. I have several of these badges, both marked and unmarked, and it seems that both are common. Also, the H appears on both the plated tombac and silver badges as do the non marked types.

My two marked badges are in the 29000 (silver; pictured below) and 43000 (plated tombac) serial number series. A 69000 series badge is unmarked (tombac). The Harding badge is in the 11000 series and unmarked (silver). I have another silver one numbered 11918, with no mark. And then three others in frames that are not easy to extract, all unmarked, but I am now tempted to open up the frames to have a look! Anyway, both marked and unmarked types pop up in lower and higher number ranges. This dispels my initial hunch that maybe the marked badges are either early or late production and appear or disappear at a specific point in the manufacturing / numbering. So it looks like we have another puzzle on our hands.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

Page 67 of 148 FirstFirst ... 17 57 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 77 117 ... LastLast