Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 91 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 141 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Default Re: Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Will check out the hallmarks and let you know. One more mystery that has intrigued my sisters: My cousins in Poland think that Gen. Maczek attended my parents wedding in 1946. Anyone recognize the gentleman with the walking stick in the photo?

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    Single 1st pattern 4th Armoured "Skorpion" collar pennon sold on Ebay. . . What struck me was the lack of detail in skorpion emblem and the fixings showing through the reverse of the badge...unlike other examples I have seen and illustrated below. Any thoughts?
    I agree that there appears to be less detail in the scorpion. Possibly a weaker strike. The pennon does appear genuine to me though. The maker evidently experimented with different fastening of the two parts. Posted below is one of my pennons, which has just a single ‘rivet’.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Hi stepic,

Thanks for sharing your father’s items. Your mention of the Cross of Valour being a replacement is right on as my research suggests that this particular variant of the cross was not officially issued, but rather made available as replacement (in the event of loss, or for uniform wear) to veterans in the UK in the immediate post war years.

The Virtuti Militari is a rarely seen type made by Gr.Techn. in London (Grupa Techniczna Osrodka Radio Sztabu Naczelnego Wodza w Londynie). These saw limited issue within the Polish 1st Corps. Wonderful cross

Reynard is correct in identifying the SPA as an Artillery officer’s school badge. The first one pictured is German made by Steinhauer1945-46 and patterned after the pre-war version. The second one with the Scottish Lion shield is an early wartime badge made by Rattray and Co., Dundee in 1941. These are stamped in silver and fully hallmarked.

Lastly, re the “oddity” – not a clue!

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Hi Stepic51

The broach with the mermaid might belong to your mother. The symbol of Warsaw is a mermaid with a sword and shield. This looks more like a patriotic broach.

Very nice Virtuti Militari, I never knew Gr. Techn. made crosses... Is the ribbon a common type for this type of Cross?

@ Tony: the SPA badge I have is hallmarked for Birmingham 1940 and is made by Walker & Hall - which fits for Coetquidan.

@ Stepic: I thought the same about the mermaid brooch as it's the civic symbol of Warsaw. Have to admit, I rather like it It's a nice piece of design. Given the way the Germans came down on the Poles during the occupation, it would have been a very patriotic thing to own.

It is a very unusual form of the Warsaw "Syrenka". Is there a makers mark anywhere on it? The style IMHO is very 1930's.

However the earliest Warsaw siren of 1695 was an even stranger looking creature

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Mmmm, some heraldic "beasts" are very strange indeed, with weird and improbable combinations. That one looks like a cross between a duck, a dragon and a badly done medieval portrait...

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    I agree that there appears to be less detail in the scorpion. Possibly a weaker strike. The pennon does appear genuine to me though. The maker evidently experimented with different fastening of the two parts. Posted below is one of my pennons, which has just a single ‘rivet’.

Regards,
    Tony
    a bit hard to tell from the photo' in the listing but it looks like the post has had its height reduced. a pennon with a full length post wouldn't sit well on the collar. this mod is indicative of a piece of insignia that has actually been worn. slight loss of detail on the skorpion equates to a combination of perhaps weaker striking and a bit of polishing. I have an example of a provenanced British Parachute Regiment cap badge where the owner filed down the rigging lines so that as he said " it was easier to polish up like chrome ! smart on parade " . just my ramblings .

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    a bit hard to tell from the photo' in the listing but it looks like the post has had its height reduced. a pennon with a full length post wouldn't sit well on the collar. this mod is indicative of a piece of insignia that has actually been worn. slight loss of detail on the skorpion equates to a combination of perhaps weaker striking and a bit of polishing. I have an example of a provenanced British Parachute Regiment cap badge where the owner filed down the rigging lines so that as he said " it was easier to polish up like chrome ! smart on parade " . just my ramblings .
    All very valid points Mr. P.Z. Re the detail loss in the scorpion I also considered the possibility of some polishing. But if the badge was subject to polishing I would expect more paint loss on the pennon backing. The paint on these never adhered too well and is rather fragile. Any sort of polishing, unless very carefully done, would have quickly eroded the paint.

Having said that, on second look it may be that the scorpion is in fact from a different stamping die. Look at the legs, how they almost touch in one and yet are well separated in the other. There’s also a difference in the stinger tail segment just after the body. The eyes also look slightly different, as do other details.

Regards,
    Tony

Quote by stepic51 View Post
    . . . One more mystery that has intrigued my sisters: My cousins in Poland think that Gen. Maczek attended my parents wedding in 1946. Anyone recognize the gentleman with the walking stick in the photo?
    Hi again Stepic. There's a resemblance, but that's definitely not General Maczek. Sorry, I do not know the name of this individual.

Regards,
    Tony

Page 91 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41 81 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 101 141 ... LastLast