Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 92 of 148 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 142 ... LastLast

Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Article about: Rare badge from this maker! Thanks for posting this nice clear picture. Regards, Tony

Default Re: Polish Regimental Badges WW2

Quote by A.J. Zawadzki View Post
    All very valid points Mr. P.Z. Re the detail loss in the scorpion I also considered the possibility of some polishing. But if the badge was subject to polishing I would expect more paint loss on the pennon backing. The paint on these never adhered too well and is rather fragile. Any sort of polishing, unless very carefully done, would have quickly eroded the paint.

Having said that, on second look it may be that the scorpion is in fact from a different stamping die. Look at the legs, how they almost touch in one and yet are well separated in the other. There’s also a difference in the stinger tail segment just after the body. The eyes also look slightly different, as do other details.

Regards,
    Tony
    I agree re the polishing and no evidence of enamel wear. Good point about a different stamping die! Or maybe a badly worn die at the end of its production life?

I have tried to visually replicate a worn die by blurring the scorpion as wear is a kind of blurring of detail.

In the attached the top image is a blurred version of the lower image and it does replicate some of the lack of detail in the pennon being discussed.

Top blurred from...
    .... original detail image

Top: Blurred
    Bottom: Ebay pennon

I am tending to lean towards a very worn die at the end of its production life on this pennon example. Maybe this was the catalyst to changing the scorpion design used in the later pennons
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

given that the first pattern is more representative of a scorpion I am surprised that the manufacturer changed the design. I have a pair of the second type but I must admit the first strike is more appealing. that is of course if you are into predatory arthropods ! I expect the buyer is now furiously looking for its mate.

Examined it and magnified it every which way but no makers mark unfortunately.

Quote by prosty zolnierz View Post
    given that the first pattern is more representative of a scorpion I am surprised that the manufacturer changed the design. I have a pair of the second type but I must admit the first strike is more appealing. that is of course if you are into predatory arthropods ! I expect the buyer is now furiously looking for its mate.
    I think the second pattern matched more closely the scorpion on the breast badge so maybe a design standardisation?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

concord

Polish Regimental Badges WW2Polish Regimental Badges WW2Polish Regimental Badges WW2

A few photos I have of artillery training (in Scotland I believe)

Thanks for the pictures Stepic. It would be great if we could zoom in to see more detail. Any possibility of posting higher resolution scans?

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Tony,
    Will rescan in a higher resolution when I'm back home next week. In the meantime as a newcomer to your forum I wanted to express my profound thanks for everyone's help identifying my father's Polish Regimental Badges. You are all a truly amazing resource and I am grateful. His war file has incredible handwritten detail of his military service from the 1939 September campaign, the defense of Warsaw, etc right up to his arrival in France. I'm working on having it translated and I'd like to share it with you all if there is an interest.
    Merry Christmas!!.

Fellows
    Best wishes to all of you and your loved ones for the very Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous New 2013Year. May 2013 brings you many fantastic new finds to your Polish collections!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  

I don’t believe this one has been covered here yet. The “badge” of the 18th Lwow Rifles Battalion was actually issued in the form of a commemorative ring. These were crafted in silver and gold and issued with the ‘legitymacja’ authorizing their wear. Rarely seen on the collectors market, this one sold in 2011 for 5500PLN = ~1800USD = ~1100GBP.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Polish Regimental Badges WW2  
    Attached Images Attached Images Polish Regimental Badges WW2  Polish Regimental Badges WW2 
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 92 of 148 FirstFirst ... 42 82 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 102 142 ... LastLast