Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish sights in my region

Article about: Hi guys; Last sunday i visit a couple of places were are sights to the Polish forces in ww2, i would share this with you all; and would upgrade this thread regularly; when i visit other sigh

Thanx Kosa !

I returned this morning to tielt for some more sights.

First of all i found some plates to remember our liberators and the liberation itself, and honour the fallen brave soldiers in the city during the battle.

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

I found also the sherman tank next to a monument for the 1st armoured division on the gen.maczek square.

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

Next are some "then and now" pictures;

First one is taken on 8 september 1944 in the centre of the city.

second is also taken on 8 September 1944 and is on the corner of the "markt and the sint-janstraat".
    almost everything is changed at the corner, but you can still clearly see the arched windows at the left and the ironwork just before the windows.

Last one is a photograph of general Maczek on the balcony of the town hall, with the mayor of the city (Mister Colle) and officers from his staff; On 17 December 1944 was Gen.Maczek proclaimed to honorary citizen of the city Tielt. (probably this picture was also taken on this day-17/12/1944)

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

?

Many thanks again Pieter!

Today i went back to places for photographs from sights and "then and now" pictures.

First i went to Roeselare, to a place i recognized in the fantastic documentary 'Fighting For Others, Dying For Poland', from the same director of 'Sylwester'.
    The pub was there in 1944 and its still is.
    The veteran tells that they came under fire from the back where the photo was taken, from a crossroad a 200m further. They where ordered to wait for infantry-reinforcements. They drive on the crossroad, fired a couple of times and pulled back behind the houses for cover, and so on and on.
    On a moment, 2 guys of the crew climbed out of the tank and went to the pub, they drink 2 aperitives and climbed back on the tank and take the enemy again under fire; they keeped the crossroad under fire till the infantry arrived.

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

Next is a tile in the pavement. For all 8 soldiers that where kia during the liberation of Roeselare, is a tile placed on the place where there where kia.
    I went in the future back to photograph all 8 places but i take this one, because this is the closest to the crossroad with the pub (i guess one km). The road you can see on the photograph must been the road they took to te center of the city.

Next is the Polish chapel, with a fantastic window in fire glass.

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

Next is the remembrance plaque on the city hall.

Next is a then and now photograph, I took a picture from the street because it must be taken in this street, but i did not found the facade back. Many is changed in this street, but it is for sure the right one.

Next is a couple photograps from the graves on the city cemetry. The first is how it was in the beginning and apparently changed through the years, and the soldiers found meanwhile there last restplace on the Polish cemetry in Lommel.
    A little not for the grave tablet, you will see next to three names that there is a 2nd name is placed; this had a reason, they fought first on German side and when they where taken pow, they go in service with the Polish exile forces. So this is a real name and a hidden name.

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

The following is a monument on a market that honoured the first Polish armored division and the 8 soldiers that where Kia during the liberation.

I also went to Zwevezele for a then and now picture and a little but nice monument.

Monument

Next is the then and now picture, was taken by an amateur photographer while the liberation was completed. Not much is left from the Original façades from the houses but you can still see the arches in one of them.

Excellent - thank you !

Echoing Meyle, excellent work Pieter - thank you!

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I found the house were General Maczek has stayed on the liberation date of the city Wingene in West-Flandres (between Zwevezele and Tielt) on 8th september 1944.
    It was ten a sort of dinner and restplace. For now it is a tavern.

There is a plaque on the facade, and every year on 11th November, there are placed flowers.

Next one is a then and now photograph.

The wartime picture is from an Original ABC paper, from my own collection, i searched for the place a while, but finally found it.
    It is in a market-street in Roeselare (West-Flandres).
    You can see that much is changed but the left corners are almost the same. Enjoy .

?

Pieter, thank you very much again for your great work

Best regards,
    Kosa

Excellent work Pieter

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Found this last resting place from a Polish major, on our summer vacation this year.
    His resting place is on the civilian cemetery of Westende (Newport) on the West Coast from Belgium.

I was very suprised because we passed the church and i was attracted to the cemeterty when i saw a well known plaque from the Commonwealth war graves commision that is hanging on the outer wall of the church.

Beside the grave of the major, there are also other commonwealth graves of some identified soldiers, sailors and airmen (6 of them are from the operation in 1940 when they withdrawn to England..

They lie side by side, as seeds in the ground, but as brothers and in peace!!

Polish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my regionPolish sights in my region

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast