Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish soldier info request

Article about: I picked up a small paperwork lot to this fellow service no. 2660 Jerzy Miedzinski 2nd Lt. In one photo it look like he is wearing engineers collar patches, I wonder if anyone has any info o

?

Default Polish soldier info request

Polish soldier info requestPolish soldier info requestI picked up a small paperwork lot to this fellow
    service no. 2660 Jerzy Miedzinski 2nd Lt.

In one photo it look like he is wearing engineers collar patches, I wonder if anyone has any info on him, I am wondering is it possible to write to the Polish archives?

Any help greatly appreciated,
    John

TMZ
    ?

I cannot help directly but, for accuracy, it is worth noting that his surname is MIEDZIŃSKI - with the accented Ń.

The army number you have seems to be slightly odd. In Polish II Corps it is usual for the number to be formatted as:

year of birth/roman numeral/sequence number - with sometimes the roman numeral omitted.

Given that the date of the docs is so late, in WWII, he may not have been II Corps, of course. I cannot quite read what the rubber stamp says at the bottom of the ID card.

The last word looks like Gibraltar!....

Hello JohnF,

With regards to Podporucznik (2nd Lt) Jerzy Karol Miedziński, unfortunately I have not been able to find anything for his wartime service but quite a bit for his post war career and life in Radar.

Jerzy Karol was born in Siedlce on the 15th September 1918, after the end of the war he attended the University of and in 1947 graduated with a B.Sc. (Eng) Degree. Jerzy married Krystyna Starzyńska in 1949 in the 3rd Quarter (July, August, September) in Hammersmith, London.

In 1951 their first daughter Barbara was born and in 1953 with her Mother and Grandmother Maria Starzyńska they left Southampton on board the Cunard Liner the Scythia on July 2nd 1953 destination Canada.

It was not until 9th February 1956 that Jerzy left the UK bound for New York and then onto Canada

Jerzy became a Telecommunication's Scientist and became the head of Radio Warfare Section in the late 1960's.

Jerzy died in Ottawa on the 29th December 2003, he was predeceased by his wife Krystyna, in his obituary he was descrined has a WW2 Veteran, Engineering Scientist.

Krysytna and Jerzy had 2 daughters Barbara who married Alex Wishart and Katarzyna who married Allin Darrell.

That is all that I have been able to find for you John, I sincerely hope that it is of some use and help to you.

Best wishes

Andrzej

p.s. my bill is in the post.

?

I can't thank you enough Andrzej that is amazing, owe you one for sure!

Thanks too TMZ I see the accent now on the N,

Gunny yes I have to have a closer look see if I can work out the stamp but it does indeed look like Gibraltar

Quote by JohnF View Post
    I can't thank you enough Andrzej that is amazing, owe you one for sure!

Thanks too TMZ I see the accent now on the N,

Gunny yes I have to have a closer look see if I can work out the stamp but it does indeed look like Gibraltar
    The word above Gibraltar appears to be "Governor's"!...

TMZ
    ?

I think the rubber stamp on the second photo ends:

63 Governor's Street
    Gibraltar

which is presumably the address of the Polish Mission there during WWII. So why/how did he manage to get there?

?

You are correct TMZ about the address,

TMZ
    ?

This other thread Podhale Rifle Brigade mentions a Polish soldier's journey to Gibraltar. May be of interest if Jerzy took the same, or similar route.