MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Polish war veteran

Article about: and is that espacially for that company or standard ?

Default Re: Polish war veteran

so they get those documents when they recieve the cross of valour, luckily that guy kept them

Most people did keep them.

Quote by michiel View Post
    hey i got al these medals and a badge from the wife of the the polish war veteran. But now i want to now more about the division where he was in but with the fact everything is in polish i was wondering if someone can help me here because i understand nothing of it ? i'll post some foto's of all the stuff i have about him.

I have some documents about him, "dogtags", and a little book that is about the first armoured polish division.
    Welcome to the forum, michiel...

The two stars are British Campaign Stars: the 1939–45 Star and the France and Germany Star. Besides that is the French Médaille Commémorative de la Guerre 1939–1945. This is interesting to see as according to Wikipedia, foreign nationals were only issued this fighting under French command. This might be the medal that members of the 10e Brigade Blindée Polonaise were authorized to wear for service in 1940 but this is speculation on my part. You will need to do more research.

Next to the Polish awards are the British Defense Medal and War Medal.
    The last two are the French Croix du Combattant Volontaire 1939–1945 and Croix du Combattant. According to Wikipedia, one is issued for those who voluntarily participated in an armed conflict, during which they put their lives at risk and the other is given to those who fought in combat for France. I had thought they were essentially the same award only one was given to volunteers (perhaps meaning foreign nationals) and the other to members of the French military but it seems not. We need someone that is more knowledgeable of French awards to clarify.
    Attachment 510986Attachment 510987
    Last edited by dastier; 05-13-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Clarification

ahn interesting thanks for the info !

?

The 39/45 star I think you might find indicates that he took part in the 1939 campaign of in Poland defence.
    (Even though a British award, Poles that fought from the start of WW2 .... not initially under British command, seemed to have qualified for this medal).
    As ever, an MOD record sheet might shine some light on this ...

Gary J.

what's an MOD record ? because i have no idea (i do not understand al english mother language is dutch)

Hello Michiel,

I am relocating this thread from the pre-WW2 to the appropriate section. You are very fortunate to have been given this grouping. It has remained intact for seven decades, so as its present custodian please be sure keep all of the items together.

As you are probably aware, your city of Sint-Niklaas was liberated from the German occupying forces by the 1st Polish Armoured Division in September 1944. This is a monument to the Division located in Sint-Niklaas: (images taken from "Monuments of the Polish Armoured Division" Z. Mieczkowski):

Polish war veteran
    Polish war veteran

And here’s a plaque from the 1st Armoured Regiment at your town hall:

Polish war veteran

The Poles also liberated the Belgian towns and villages of Poperinge, Ruiselede, Ieper, Roeselare, Tielt, Aalter, Lokeren, Sint-Niklaas and Beveren.

Polish war veteran

what's an MOD record ? because i have no idea (i do not understand al english mother language is dutch)
    Info here:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...mbatant-12172/

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

oh going to take a look at the monument, thanks for all the info A.J. Zawadzki !

Looking at this great set would indicate that this soldier served with the Polish Armoured Brigade in 1940 thus award of French medals, then made his way to England. He then served in the 1st Armoured Regt of the 1st Armoured Division so now he was awarded the British campaign medals and Polish Army medal. The Cross of Valor is strictly a bravery award whilst all the other medals are campaign medals. The badge of the 1st Armoured Regt was awarded for a period of service in that regiment. Very nice group! This Lance Sergeant (plutonowy) would have served at the Battle of Falaise Gap!!! After the war many veterans of the 1st Armoured Division married Belgium or Dutch girls and stayed in the areas they liberated.

ahn and he was married with a belgium girl and is burried in my city(Sint-niklaas) thanks for the info !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast