Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Polish wings

Article about: I got these wings years ago from a old Polish Paratrooper. He told me he did not remember where they came from. I suspect them to be fake but need to know. He said he thought he got them aft

Default Polish wings

I got these wings years ago from a old Polish Paratrooper. He told me he did not remember where they came from. I suspect them to be fake but need to know. He said he thought he got them after the Arnhem jump for he lost his at the battle. There is no number and it does have the Tobie marking on the back with the backwards L. The screw is different also with a washer. The post seems to be inserted in the wing. If real I dont want to sell it for it goes with his other stuff I now own. But it would be nice to know a basic value for insurance. I am enclosing pics I took today.

Peter Griffith
    Honorary Member Polish Parachure BrigadePolish wingsPolish wingsPolish wings

Default Re: Polish wings

Were these not meant to be individually numbered?? I have not looked at these for a few years, I did contact the manufacturer in Edinburgh a couple of years ago, spoke to a guy on the phone, they have many enquiries, he said they still had the original dies and moulds. I did intend to call in and have a look while I was working up there but never got around to it

I would repost this thread on under the Polish section with name of paratrooper. There are several very knowledgeable members on the Polish forum that would be able to confirm status of the wings and Arnhem participation
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Default Polish parachute wings

The Para I got it from was Jan Szygenda. I got these at a dinner at Jan's house in NJ with teh fellow who wrote Poles Apart. I can not figure out how to move the thread here. At 63 I am new to this.

Hi Peter, I have moved and merged the two threads for you.

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

1st IPPB, welcome to the forum!

Ade has kindly moved the thread

I can't help with the wing but I noted online:

Sentinel Magazine dated 1991: The Canadian Airborne Forces Museum at CFB Petawawa, Ont. "...featured an exhibit of an airborne trooper with the 1st Polish Independent Paratroop Brigade which saw action during the Second World War in Holland. Donated by former members of the brigade Jerzy Lucki and Jan Szygenda."

Gary J. I am sure will be able to help with information about the man and the wing
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Thanks Gary. I know the history of the man from the time he was taken from his villiage by the russians (he was a cadet officer and his Sgt. Major kept him from being pulled out of line and shot) and his trip to the med and then to england. I would like to know what happend to my old friend for he is probly dead by now. I want to know more about his wings and where I can get a picture of him. If anyone knows his daughter I would like to get up with her.

I still need some help here guys on these wings if they are real or not.

Hi Peter, and welcome aboard.

Regulations stipulated that that all officially issued Polish Parachute badges were serial numbered, and that they be accompanied by “personal identity card” where the badge number was marked. So the badge is a copy. One of the many reproductions produced, with this one mimicking the Kirkwood & Son version. It also has other characteristics (i.e the threaded post) that differ from the genuine badges.

As always with questions relating to this badge I defer to my colleague Gary J., our resident expert on all things pertaining to this badge for more detailed commentary.

Regards,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

It took some looking up, and I believe the chap was actually Jan Szegda.
    He was the Liaison officer (PPOR) with the HQ company.
    It looks like his transport was by glider to Arnhem (17th Sept.), BUT the tow rope broke and his glider landed near to Tilburg.

His badge (If it was a contemporary replacement), would have been numbered, and marked "Duplikat".

Gary J.