Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

Article about: Haven't a clue if it's real or fake. Would sincerely appreciate your advice.

Default Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

Haven't a clue if it's real or fake. Would sincerely appreciate your advice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade   Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade  

Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade   Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade  

Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade   Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade  

Default Re: Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

Welcome to the forum. I've moved your question over to the Polish section.

To my eyes it appears like a seldom seen genuine example in a sea of fakes. Gary J, our resident expert on all things 1 Polish Para Brigade will be the final arbiter, but I am quite confident it is good.

I did a quick check in my Lorys reference and the numbering pair for the badge and combat wreath check out. See below - awarded to Lance Corporal Franciszek Sosenka. The badge / wreath serail numbers follow, then the rank in Polish followed by unit, the 1SBS = 1 Samodzielna Brygada Spadochronowa = 1st Independent Parachute Brigade. Lastly the MG suffix stands for Market Garden. Interestingly, the entry just above Sosenka's is none other than the great Major General Sosabowski, the C.O. of the 1SBS.

The badge is a Kirkwood & Son, Edinburgh product.

Congratulations. A rare and very desirable badge!

Can you tell us a little more on how you acquired it?

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Default Re: Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

Very Nice Badge. !

.. And Just adding to Tony's comment ..

Sosenka was 2nd Battalion 6th Company.
    Parachuted from Aircraft chalk 59 - 21st September 44.

Gary J.

Tony & Gary J. - My very, very sincere thanks for your appraisals and background on the badge. I am actually stunned at the good news you've given me. The number of questions about the badge and the offers I've received are remarkable. I truly had no clue about it being real or fake. I cannot thank you enough. Best regards. TexasTarpon1954

You're most welcome. Congratulations again on acquiring one of the holy grail Polish WW2 badges. As far as the offers you have received, be wary of unscrupulous lowballers that will try to pry this badge away from you for below market value. Sadly it's a common practice. For your reference the last market sale of a genuine parachute badge with combat wreath that I am aware of sold for a little under $3000 about three years ago. I don't think the market has softened for these. The auction result is posted below.

Regards,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Very impressive thread!

And a very impressive find.
    Well done and welcome to the forum.
    Cheers
    Dave

Nice badge!
    Congrats
    Rafal

Please note this badge has been placed for sale on eBay in the U.S. I have loved having this item and learning its history. I am especially grateful to Gary J. and Tony for the background they provided on the badge. But it is time for a new owner who can appreciate its value and historical significance. I hope you get a chance to search for the item on eBay. The auction began 4/27/12 and ends seven days from today. Thanks to War Relics Forum and all who participate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast