Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

Article about: Haven't a clue if it's real or fake. Would sincerely appreciate your advice.

Default Re: Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

Default Re: Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade

My very sincere thanks to everyone who assisted me with information on the badge and, more importantly, the brave soldier who wore it to battle. I cannot thank Gary J. and Tony enough. May God's blessings be with you all. Best regards. Ross

Hi Ross, you're most welcome. Happy to have been of assistance to you. Thank you for making a return visit to us and posting your kind comments. And of course, congratulations on a strong result! Nothing like a nice windfall as we head into the Christmas season.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question on Authenticity - 1st Independent Polish Paratrooper Brigade  
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

I need to find one of these to auction off! Good for you. Spend it wisely.

Dear Sir, I am new to the forum and am beginning to try and find information about my father who was
    Franciszek Szafran born 29.10.1921 in Borszczow,Tarnopol.(now in Ukraine) he was a prisoner of war in Siberia and eventually arrived in the middle east then Uk and became a paratrooper in the 1st.Polish Independant Parachute Brigade and was at Arnhem.I saw your reference to something called Lorys. I would appreciate some advice on where to begin researching his life over this period. I hope you are not inconvenienced by my request. Regards...Frank

Hello Frank and welcome to the forum.

The Lorys book is pictured below. Here's the book's entry for your father. His badge and wreath number are given, along with rank “Kpr.” = Corporal. “1SBS” = 1 Samodzielna Brygada Spadochronowa = 1st Independent Parachute Brigade and the “MG” suffix stands for Market Garden:

Gary J. and or Andrzejku will hopefully chime in with some more information for you.

To gain a better understanding of your father’s journey and the history of the Polish exile forces I would recommend reading some of the excellent books out there. These two are a great place to start as they will provide a good backdrop to the events that directly affected your father, from his capture in 1939 by the Soviets and then his eventual service in the Parachute Brigade:

An Army in Exile: The Story of the Second Polish Corps
    Lt. General W. Anders
    Macmillan & Co.,, London, 1949

Freely I Served
    Maj. General Stanislaw Sosabowski
    The Battery Press, Nashville

Check our book thread for other important titles:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...7/books-14072/

Cheers,
    Tony

All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

Many thanks.....that's a great start......Frank

You're most welcome Frank. Please feel free to share pictures of any of your father's WW2 items that may have passed into your hands. Everyone here would be most interested.

Regards,
    Tony

Hi Frank.

Welcome to the forum, would I be correct in thinking that your Grandfathers Name was Karol, your Father was arrested on the 17th September 1939 in Borszczow, transfered to a Camp in Siewzeldorlag on the 14th June 1940 and joined the Anders Army on the 3rd September 1941 at Tatisczczewo. (information obtained from the web site index of victims of soviet repression).

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Frank,
    A little more ...
    Your father was in the 1st Battalion, 3rd Company.
    .. Scheduled aboard Aircraft chalk number 23.
    Jumped at Grave (2nd Lift) 23rd September 1944.

Looks to have qualified for his wing around September 1943 at PTS Ringway.

The 1st Battalion (prior to Arnhem), were based at Easton-On-The-Hill, near to Stamford in Lincolnshire.

Regards

Gary J.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast