Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

„Ramię Pancerne II Polskiego Korpusu” : Armoured Arm of the Second Polish Corps.

Article about: Part 21:

Default Re: „Ramię Pancerne II Polskiego Korpusu” : Armoured Arm of the Second Polish Corps.

Thank you - excellent book - shows the heroism and sacrifice by Poles, who mostly travelled from Kresy through Russia, Middle East to Italy to never see Poland again (majority stayed in the West after the war). Tragic just as loss of Kresy itself.

Default Re: „Ramię Pancerne II Polskiego Korpusu” : Armoured Arm of the Second Polish Corps.

There is an image of prisoners in a jeep. ( have tried to attach but I dont know if I managed to do it. ) The caption says "Germans" but according to my friend they were forced Polish conscripts into the German army. They changed sides. This is how the Polish Corp got a lot of its replacements from.

My friend has a similar book to this with a similar photo in it- I just checked its not exactly the same image but I suspect it was taken on the same roll of film. ( have tried to attach that image to but .. im new to this forum , sorry) . In his book this particular photo has always played on his mind because he recognises one of the "prisoners" in the jeep and has a suspicion that he is actually the one in the back obscured from view by the guards elbow. When I saw your image I noticed it was a lot clearer than the one I had seen before (its a wartime publication and the paper is really cheap) so I was going to send it to him to see if it helps clear things up at all.

So , like I said he "may " be in the photo. Chances are when I post him the image (he doesn't do internet) we still wont be any wiser but these are brilliant photos to share either way so thanks again.

His name is Eddie , Burton. Changed his name to a more English friendly version - I'm afraid I cant even begin to spell his original Polish name.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture „Ramię Pancerne II Polskiego Korpusu” : Armoured Arm of the Second Polish Corps.   „Ramię Pancerne II Polskiego Korpusu” : Armoured Arm of the Second Polish Corps.  

As i'm looking at the images together now on the forum. the first thing I can see is that the guard is different in the two images. I think this may be a close photo of one of the other jeeps in the background. I will still send it to him though.

What is the other and similar book you mention?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

Ok I think I just uploaded the title page of it. Some one has put it online page for page as well though but I don't know the link of hand. I found it one day when I searching Polish 2 nd corp. Its ok but here aren't any captions with the images.

„Ramię Pancerne II Polskiego Korpusu” : Armoured Arm of the Second Polish Corps.

ok... I put on twice. Sorry

Good job and no worries!

You can click on -edit post- in the lower right corner then delete the extra image.

edited! thank you for that

Any chance of making this thread a sticky as it is an excellent photo resource for Polish armour in the Second Corps not to mention the other numerous photos of Polish soldiers and their journey from captivity to freedom?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast