Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Sikorski Museum, London

Article about: I am so relaxed the photo's didnot attach sorry about that here goes again I will try one at a time Awards of General Dr Roman Odzierzynski

Default Re: Sikorski Museum, London

Quote by 4thskorpion View Post
    I agree with Gary, PISM is one of the best unkown treasures of London. When you go you will most likely get a guided tour by a 2PolCorps veteran! On my first visit the gentleman who gave me a private tour (I was the only guest that day) was a veteran of the Carpathian Lancers who not only gave me a great tour but when asked also told me about his own deportation to Siberia, the camps, and the battle Monte Cassino.

It is a pity that many of the exhibits are not adequately captioned --if at all. But I guess it is run more as a research archive rather than a 'public' museum.

At the moment the Sikorski is trying to raise funds to preserve and restore the regimental colours in its collection so any help with this I am sure would be very welcome as the institute is entirely funded by donations.

PISM did publish the first volume of an overview of its collection but there has been no funding available for a second. I have the first somewhere so will post the details.

This is so wrong in so many ways!

The Polish government should fund the PISM to preserve it as a significant part of the Polish heritage even if it is located in London. This is a very special place which represents the history of Polish valour and perseverance in the face of extreme adversity for the Polish nation. Its mind boggling that the PISM has to solicit donations 70 years after WW2 has ended and that the artifacts are not properly cataloged or labelled.

I can understand how the previous communist government of Poland would ignore the PISM (but just barely - this was still Polish heritage even if not approved by the Soviets) but does not the current government of Poland accept responsibility to fund and preserve the PISM?

Polish governments should also use the history of the PISM and of Polish soldiers valour in the West (and elsewhere in WW2) to promote goodwill for Poland. Poles in the West fought 'for your freedom and ours' in many theatres of WW2. Unless the current and subsequent Polish governments maintain and promote this history, it will be forgotten as the old Polish soldiers pass on and the monuments and what they represent become forgotten and ignored. Quite possibly in the future only the historians and those with a special interest (such as the members here) will remember and admire the accomplishments of the Polish sacrifices against Nazi and Soviet tyranny and oppression.

This should not be allowed to happen.
    Last edited by dastier; 08-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.

jbk
    ?

The Kubus is a full working copy which even takes part in some events, whereas the original still exists at Warsaw Military/Army Museum. The original was made out a chevrolet van/truck and took around 2weeks to "convert". It took part in combat. The wall runs around the entire museum featuring the casualities of this bloody uprising.

Cool!

Quote by jbk View Post
    . . . The Veteran showing me around,...wish I could remember his name...
    Yes, I also wish you could remember his name!! But I thank you for posting these pictures nonetheless

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

?

Hi all,

I'm new on this magnific forum and would to give life to this fantastic old thread.

I'm studying the awards of General Anders and have seen a couple of very good photos of his polish awards but nothing about his FOREIGN awards that, as it was mentioned many times on this discussion, are held in the museum.

May I kindly ask to post some good resolution photos of General Ander's FOREIGN awards ?

awaiting to hear from you

Many thanks in advance

Lilo

Hello Lilo,

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum, General Anders foreign Awards are located to the left of the fireplace in his study in the Sikorski Museum and Polish Institute in London. I do have a photograph somewhere, not quite sure where, so if any other members of the Forum have a picture to hand I would ask them to attach it to the site.

The awards are as follows:

1) British Order of the Bath (Honourary Companion) presented to the General by Field Marshal Alexander

2) United States Legion of Merit (Commanders Cross)

3) France Legion of Honour

4) Persia Imperial Order of Homayeun (Grand Cross)

5) Italian Order of St. Maurice and St. Lazarus (Grand Cross)

If I have missed anything off, please accept my apologies

Once again, Welcome to the Forum

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Hello again Lilo,

I have found this photograph of General Anders investiture of the Order of the Bath on 24th May 1944 behind the Lines at Monte Cassino

Sikorski Museum, London

please click on the photograph to enlarge

Best wishes

Andrzejku

?

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Lilo,

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum, General Anders foreign Awards are located to the left of the fireplace in his study in the Sikorski Museum and Polish Institute in London. I do have a photograph somewhere, not quite sure where, so if any other members of the Forum have a picture to hand I would ask them to attach it to the site.

1) British Order of the Bath (Honourary Companion) presented to the General by Field Marshal Alexander

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    Hello Andrzejku,

Manny thanks for your kind words and help !

Unfortunately you mentioned only a part of the 'High' awards Gen. Anders received (some missed one are, for example those awarded from Imperial Russia).

Really he was awarded many medals and decortions from many countries and you can see something by the big ribbon bar he wears on this colour photos : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...chutist-22330/

However, I greatly would appreciate any photo, you or other members, can post about his foreign awards.

Again best regards

Lilo

?

Default ---

Quote by andrzejku98 View Post
    Hello Lilo,

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...-8/#post961735

Best wishes

Andrzejku
    Hello Andrzejku,

Manny thanks for your kind words and help !

Unfortunately you mentioned only a part of the 'High' awards Gen. Anders received (some missed one are, for example those awarded from Imperial Russia).

Really he was awarded many medals and decortions from many countries and you can see something by the big ribbon bar he wears on this colour photos : https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/polis...chutist-22330/

However, I greatly would appreciate any photo, you or other members, can post about his foreign awards.

Again best regards

Lilo

Hi Lilo,

I did not mention the awards that General Anders received during his service with the Russian Army during WW1, basically because they are not on show with his other medals, his Polish Awards dating from 1918-1966 are on display as well as the Foreign awards received during WW2.

The Generals Polish awards along with his British, French and Italian and US award (Lafayette Medal) are on display to the right of the fireplace in the Generals Study.

Lilo also not sure on what happened to the following awards given to General Anders pre 1939: Yugoslavian Order of St Sawa, Commanders Cross and Czechoslovakian Order of the White Lion, Officers Cross.

Best wishes

Andrzejku

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast